Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXV No. 14, November 1-15, 2015
(Current Affairs questions are from the period October 1st to 15th. Questions 11 to 20 pertain to Chennai and Tamil Nadu.)
1. After whom has the Defence Research Development Organisation’s (DRDO’s) Missile Complex in Hyderabad been renamed?
2. The Union Govt. has decided to observe November 26th as..?
3. Which company did computer maker Dell acquire for $67 billion in the biggest tech deal in history?
4. Name the work that won Marlon James the 2015 Man Booker Prize.
5. Where have scientists from the Botanical Survey of India (BSI) discovered a new distinct global species of banana with unique green flowers and fruit bunch lux (axis) thrice the size of a regular banana species?
6. In the inaugural list of Forbes’ 50 richest families in Asia, apart from the Ambanis (at No. 3), which are the other two Indian families in the top 10?
7. Which African combine has been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for this year?
8. Where in New Delhi will the National War Memorial and Museum come up in the next five years at a cost of Rs. 500 crore?
9. According to a recent revision by the World Bank, what is the new international poverty line?
10. It was recently announced that Earth is not the only planet with a blue sky. Which other ‘planet’ is said to have a similar-coloured sky?
11. To protect which critically endangered animal has the State Government banned Ketoprofen, a non-steroid anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID)?
12. How was the legendary film personality Gopishanta, who passed away recently, better known?
13. Name the eminent flautist and Sangeeta Kalanidhi who passed away on October 9th.
14. A.R. Rahman has been appointed the Cultural Ambassador for which of these Indian Ocean islands: Madagascar, Maldives or Seychelles?
15. What is the traditional name for ‘Allingall’s Pagoda’?
16. The once-residence of Kysamballi Chengalraya Reddy, the first Chief Minister of Mysore State, in T. Nagar is now known as…?
17. What important academic position does Dr. R. Thandavan hold in the State?
18. Whose bi-annual publication is Hamadrayad?
19. What is the other name for the Bharata Kalakshetra Auditorium in the Kalakshetra complex?
20. Which film pioneer set up the Gaiety, Crown and Globe theatres in Madras?
* * *
11.Vultures; 12. Manorama; 13. N. Ramani; 14. Seychelles; 15.Chennai Arulmigu Ekambareswarar Temple; 16. Anna Illam, the residence of actor Sivaji Ganesan’s family; 17. Vice Chancellor of the University of Madras; 18. The Madras Crocodile Bank Trust and Centre for Herpetology;19. Koothambalam; 20. Raghupathy Venkiah