Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXVII No. 1, April 16-30, 2017
Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s questions are from March 16th to 31st. Questions 11 to 20 relate to Chennai and Tamil Nadu.
1. Which small Central American nation has become the first country in the world to ban metal mining?
2. Which famous tiger reserve has become the first in India to officially introduce a mascot – Bhoorsingh the Barasingha?
3. The first fully Indian-made train was flagged off at Dadar station recently. Name it and where was it made.
4. Name the legendary American guitarist, singer and writer of such classics as ‘Johnny B. Goode’, ‘Roll Over Beethoven’ who passed away recently.
5. On March 20th, the Uttara-khand High Court in a momentous decision declared which two water bodies as “living persons” and gave them the same legal rights as -human beings?
6. Asperitas Undulatus, Flam-mag-en-itus and Fluctus are among the 11 new varieties of which natural -formation that we see on a regular basis?
7. India’s biggest river festival, ‘Namami …… ’ was held recently. Fill in the blank with the name of a river.
8. The diamond jubilee of the Treaty establishing the European Economic Community (TEEC) was observed on March 25th. What is this treaty commonly called?
9. Which team won the Santosh Trophy, the symbol of supremacy in National football, for a record 32nd time recently?
10. The recently announced blockbuster merger between which two telecom companies will create the world’s second largest and India’s largest telecom company?
* * *
11. Why was Justice Indira Banerjee in the news recently?
12. Which facility in the State is said to have the longest military runway in Asia?
13. By winning which tournament did Tamil Nadu become the first State to win all BCCI senior level trophies?
14. Where in the State is the -Cosmic Ray Laboratory?
15. The Sahitya Akademi award winner for Appavin Snegidhar, who was born Thyagarajan, passed away recently. What is his famous nom de plume?
16. Name the chess player from Chennai who recently became India’s latest and 46th Grand-master.
17. The 114-km-long Mana-madurai-Rameswaram stretch of the railways is India’s first ‘Green Corridor’. What does that mean?
18. During the Kapaleeswarar Temple utsavam, on the night Kapali rides the Naga vahanam, what does the Amman travel on?
19. Apart from Kanniyakumari and Kancheepuram, which two other districts of the State start with a K?\
20. Chinnaiah, Ponniah, Siva-nandam and Vadivelu, who lived during the early 19th Century and contributed to the development of Bharata Natyam and Carnatic music, are collectively called…?
1. El Salvador; 2. Kanha; 3. Medha was made at ICF; 4. Chuck Berry; 5. Ganga and Yamuna; 6. Clouds; 7. Brahmaputra; 8. Treaty of Rome; 9. Bengal; 10. Idea Cellular and Vodafone.
* * *
11. She is the new Chief Justice of the Madras High Court; 12. INS Rajali; 13. Deodhar Trophy; 14. Ooty; 15. Ashokamitran; 16. Srinath Narayanan; 17. There would be zero discharge of human waste on tracks in the section; 18. Kamadhenu; 19. Karur and Krishnagiri; 20. ‘Thanjavur Quartet’.