Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXVII No. 12, October 1-15, 2017
(Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s questions are from September 1st to 15th. Questions 11 to 20 relate to Chennai and Tamil Nadu.)
1. What is Hillary Clinton’s recently released memoir, about her most recent presidential campaign, called?
2. Halimah Yacob was recently elected as the first female president of which prosperous Asian nation?
3. On September 13th, the International Olympic Committee awarded the 2024 and 2028 Summer Olympics to which cities?
4. The ‘Bakhshali manuscript’, an ancient Indian manuscript in the Bodleian Library in Oxford, is now thought to mention the first use of which concept?
5. What are the proposed terminal points of the ‘bullet train’ that is to run between Ahmadabad and Mumbai?
6. What is ‘Operation Insaniyat’, initiated by the Ministry of External Affairs recently?
7. On September 11th, Defence Minister Nirmala Seetharaman flagged off the ‘Navika Sagar Parikrama’. What is it?
8. On which heavenly body has the International Astronomical Union named two mountain ranges as Tenzing Montes and Hillary Montes in a tribute to the first humans to conquer Mt. Everest?
9. Which Navaratna PSU has got Cabinet approval to be upgraded to ‘Maharatna’ status?
10. Name the new portal launched by the Union Ministry of Human Resource and Development to provide a digital platform to teachers to make their lifestyle more digital.
* * *
11. Jivabhumi, Vellivilakkau and Kaliyugam were some of the names considered for which popular magazine before the present name was adopted?
12. The storage tanks of which fuel company were hit by SMS Emden on September 22, 1914?
13. Which 1785 initiative had the motto ‘Quicquid Agunt Homines’?
14. With which industrialist would you associate the Paragon Cinema in Madras, the Ritz Hotel in Mumbai and the general insurance company, East-West Insurance?
15. Which Chennai-based institution, part of the CSIR umbrella, was founded on April 24, 1948?
16. Tiruvakkarai (Villupuram District) and Sattanur (Perambalur District) have which specific kind of national park?
17. The Jain temple on Kutchery Road is dedicated to the 12th Tirthankara. Name him.
18. Which famous freedom fighter took up residence for ten years on Easwaran Dharamaraja Koil Street in Puducherry?
19. ‘Little Randolph’, ‘Gold Mohur’, ‘Flor de Spencer’ and ‘Torpedo’ were brand names of which products made by Spencer’s?
20. Name the cargo ship that hit the shores of Marina in November 1966, and remained as wreckage till the 1990s?
1. What Happened; 2. Singapore; 3. Paris and Los Angeles; 4. Zero; 5. Sabarmati to Bandra; 6. To provide assistance to Bangladesh in response to the humanitarian crisis caused by the large influx of Rohingyas from Myanmar; 7. India’s first all-women crew global circumnavigation expedition; 8. Dwarf planet Pluto; 9. Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited; 10. Diksha.gov.in.
* * *
Kalki; 12. Burmah Oil Company; 13. The weekly Madras Courier newspaper; 14. Rm. Alagappa Chettiar; 15. Central Leather Research Institute; 16. National Fossil Wood Parks; 17. Vasupujya Swami; 18. Subramania Bharati; 19. Cigars; 20. Stamatis.