Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXVII No. 17, December 16-31, 2017
(Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s questions are from November 16th to 30th. Questions 11 to 20 relate to Chennai and Tamil Nadu.)
1. Saikhom Mirabai Chanu recently became only the second Indian woman to win a World championship gold in which Olympic sport?
2. Who was honoured with the Indian Film Personality Award 2017 at the recently-concluded 48th International Film Festival of India?
3. How did Manushi Chillar make news on November 18th?
4. ISRO has announced that India’s first dedicated scientific mission to study the sun would be launched in 2019. What is it to be called?
5. Which bank is launching the country’s first integrated lifestyle and banking digital service platform named YONO (You Only Need One)?
6. The President recently promulgated an ordinance under Article 123 to omit which common plant species from the definition of trees?
7. Who has been chosen to receive the prestigious Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development this year?
8. Which African leader was forced to step down as President after being in office for 29 years?
9. How did Rachel Markle, an American actress known for her role in the TV series Suits, make news?
10. To which neighbouring countries did Pope Francis recently make a six-day visit?
* * *
11. What is now housed in Chamundeswari Bagh?
12. What was started in 1923 by Mrs. Waller, along with some European women, with the aim of promoting philanthropic activities?
13. Which busy Madras thoroughfare of yore had buildings named Manonidhi, Vinnagar, Sadhana and Kamalalayam?
14. What was the famous pseudonym of the author Ja. Ra. Sundaresan, who passed away recently?
15. According to historian and author A.R. Venkatachalapathy, why do ‘kaapi tumblers’ have rims?
16. Who is the present Archbishop of the Madras-Mylpaore diocese?
17. To enjoy which English poet’s works did Subramania Bharati start a club in Ettaiyapuram?
18. Which popular magazine debuted on January 15, 1970 with a pair of donkeys on the cover?
19. Captain C.P. Krishnan Nair of Leela Hotels’ fame is credited with inventing and popularising which famous textile synonymous with Madras?
20. Which is the oldest unit of the Madras Regiment that was raised in 1704 in Padmanabhapuram as bodyguards for the Maharajah of Travancore?Answers to Quiz
1. Weightlifting, 2. Amitabh Bachchan, 3. She was crowned Miss World, 4. Aditya- L1, 5. State Bank of India, 6. Bamboo, 7. Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, 8. Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe, 9. She has become engaged to Prince Harry, the younger son of Prince Charles and Lady Diana, 10. Myanmar and Bangladesh.
* * *
11. Russian consulate in San Thomé, 12. Guild of Service, 13. Edward Elliot’s Road, 14. Bhagyam Ramaswamy, 15. So that lower castes could drink the coffee without sipping it, thus cutting down ‘pollution’, 16. Most Rev. Dr. George Antonysamy, 17. Percy Byshe Shelley, 18. Cho’s Tughlak, 19. Bleeding Madras, 20. 9th Battalion.