Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXVII No. 2, May 1-15, 2017
Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s questions are from April 1st to 15th. Questions 11 to 20 relate to Chennai and Tamil Nadu.
1. NASA recently announced that Saturn’s sixth-largest and Jupiter’s fourth-largest moon may be habitable as they have the necessary ingredients required to sustain life. Name them.
2. The US recently dropped the GBU-43 or the MOAB, nicknamed as the ‘Mother of All Bombs’, over an ISIS complex in Afghanistan. What does MOAB actually expand to?
3. Which Bengaluru-based institution was given its own pin code 560 500 so that letters and mails sent by taxpayers are not lost or reach the facility late?
4. Which Asian Nobel Laureate was on April 10th designated as a ’Messenger of Peace’ by the UN Secretary-General António Guterres?
5. The 100th anniversary of the first experiment with Satyagraha by Mahatma Gandhi in India was observed on April 10th. Where did it happen?
6. Which Indian star has been named ‘Wisden’s Leading Cricketer in the World’ for 2016?
7. Akshay Kumar has won the National Award for Best Actor for playing which real-life character?
8. Gilbert Baker, who created an eight-coloured flag which has now become a global symbol for a movement, passed away recently. Which movement?
9. Apart from its five associate banks, which other bank merged with the State Bank of India on April 1st?
10. Which Spanish golfer finally won his first Major, the US Masters, after 74 attempts?
* * *
11. What is the name given to the 5th praharam, built by Shiva appearing in the form of Spider, at the Jambukeswarar Temple in Tiruvannaikaval?
12. Which film has won the National Award for the Best Feature Film in Tamil?
13. What national first did K. Prithika Yashini achieve when posted as a Sub-Inspector in Dharmapuri District?
14. Which institution in the State was ranked second best higher secondary educational institution, behind IISc Bengaluru, in the 2017 National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) released by the Union Human Resource Development Ministry?
15. Who suggested the name ‘Tamil Isai Sangam’ for the cultural body?
16. What is the name of Shiva in the well-known Thyagaraja Temple in Tiruvottriyur?
17. What is the pen name of Viswanathan Subramanian, the well-known bilingual author, critic, translator and columnist?
18. In which famous complex in Kilpauk did Chidamabram Chettiar set up National Movietone in the 1930s-40s?
19. Which publication was launched by Vardarajulu Naidu on September 5, 1932?
20. Which poet, known for his divine compositions, was also called ‘Tampiran Thozhan’ (Comrade of the Master i.e. Shiva)?
1. Enceladus and Europa, 2. Massive Ordnance Air Blast bomb, 3. Income Tax Department’s Central Processing Centre (CPC), 4. Malala Yousafzai, 5. Champaran in Bihar, 6. Virat Kohli, 7. Kawas Manekshaw Nanavati, 8. The LGBT movement, 9. Bharatiya Mahila Bank, 10. Sergio Garcia.
* * *
11. ‘Thiruneettan thirumathil’, 12. Joker, 13. She became India’s first-ever transgender person to become a police official, 14. IIT Madras, 15. Rajaji, 16. Adipuriswara, 17. Charukesi, 18. Kushaldoss Gardens, 19. The Indian Express, 20. Sundarar.