Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXVII No. 3, May 16-31, 2017
Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s questions are from April 16th to 30th. Questions 11 to 20 relate to Chennai and Tamil Nadu.
1. With what prestigious literary award was eminent Bengali poet and critic Sankha Ghosh honoured by the President on April 27th?
2. Name the spacecraft which recently dived successfully through the space between Saturn and its rings, a region no spacecraft has been before.
3. Which place off Mumbai is to be connected by India’s first sea ropeway?
4. According to a Supreme Court ruling, what percentage of the net salary is the maintenance to be paid by a husband to his estranged wife as alimony?
5. The Olympic Council of Asia has decided to have which ‘e-sport’ as a full medal event at the 2022 Asian Games?
6. Who are the only three categories of people exempted from the ban on using red beacons on vehicles that came into effect on May 1st?
7. Which cricketer is the first to score 10,000 runs in the T20?
8. Apart from PM Modi, which other resident Indian features in Time magazine’s list of ‘100 Most Influential People of 2017’?
9. In which Northeastern State was the Sumi Baptist Church, Asia’s biggest church with a plinth area of 23,73,476 square feet, inaugurated recently?
10. Name the news website launched by the co-founder of Wikipedia Jimmy Wales in which professional journalists report news stories that are credible and will counter the spread of fake news.
* * *
11. Which is the only place in Tamil Nadu named as a ‘Swachh Iconic Place’, a National-level initiative to keep it intensely clean and enhance the experience of visitors from India and abroad?
12. Name the P15A Guided Missile Destroyer, the largest ever destroyer built in the country, dedicated by the Indian Navy to the city of Chennai recently.
13. The English translation of Perumal Murugan’s novel ‘Mathorubhagan’ has won the Sahitya Akademi’s award for translation in English. What is it titled and who is the translator?
14. Name the other imposing building on the beachfront that J.J. Underwood of the Madras Engineers constructed along with Ice House.
15. What did the initials expand to in the name of U.V. Swaminatha Iyer aka ‘Tamil Thatha’?
16. What is the term used for the style in which the Tolkappiyam has been written?
17. In which sport has the young S. Shrikrishna brought glory to himself and the State by winning National and World titles?
18. In the days of the Raj, which delicacies were called hoppers and string hoppers?
19. Who is the present vice-chancellor of Madras University?
If MGR was ‘Puratchi Thalaivar’ and Vijayakanth ‘Puratchi Kalaignar’, then which actor is ‘Puratchi Tamilan’?
1. Jnanpith Award, 2. Cassini, 3. Elephanta Island, 4. 25 per cent 5. Video Gaming, 6. President, Vice-President and Chief Justice of India, 7. Chris Gayle, 8. Paytm founder Vijay Shekhar Sharma, 9. Nagaland, 10. Wikitribune.
* * *
Madurai Meenakshi Temple, 12. INS Chennai, 13. One Part Woman and Aniruddhan Vasudevan, 14. The Masonic Temple of the Lodge of Perfect Unanimity (now the DGP HQ), 15. Utthamadhanapuram Venkatasubramanian, 16. Noorpaa, or short formulaic compositions, 17. Cue sports (billiards and snooker), 18. Aapam and Idiaapam, 19. No one! It is vacant and the office is managed by a Syndicate committee, 20. Sathyaraj.