Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXVII No. 6, July 1-15, 2017
Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s questions are from June 1st to 15th. Questions 11 to 20 relate to Chennai and Tamil Nadu.
1. On June 2nd, the first moon discovered around a major planet in six years, was announced. Which planet?
2. Which European country officially joined NATO as its 29th member at a ceremony in Washington, D.C. on June 5th?
3. What is the nationality of Jelena Ostapenko, who won the French Open women’s singles?
4. Which country became the first Asian nation to qualify for next year’s FIFA World Cup?
5. Why did the novel A Horse Walks into a Bar, the English translation of the Israeli work Sus echad nichnas lebar make news?
6. On June 14th, telecom giant Verizon acquired which Internet pioneer’s core business for $4.48 billion, thus ending the latter’s two-decade long run as an independent company?
7. President Pranab Mukherjee recently launched a mobile app for ‘raising awareness among people about female foeticide and sex selection’. What is it called?
8. Which Indian media house is part of the BRICS initiative that has established a $1 million fund for boosting media cooperation in the five-nation grouping?
9. Which two Indian cricketing greats have joined UNICEF’s ‘Super Dads’ campaign that highlights the critical role played by fathers in children’s early development?
10. Name the railway station in Bhopal that has become the country’s first railway station to be redeveloped in a public-private partnership (PPP) mode?
* * *
11. The original name of the Arignar Anna Poonga was that of a former acting 19th Century Governor of Madras. Who?
12. Name the resident of Chennai who’s won the first-ever World Food Prize in 1987.
13. By what more famous name is the Tamil theatre veteran N.V. Natarajan better known?
14. Which legend of Tamil and Indian cinema made his Tamil film debut in Mukta Srinivasan’s Thamarai Kulam in 1959?
15. What is the common English name for the bird called neenda alagu kazhugu or pinam thinni kazhugu in Tamil?
16. What two-word term was given to a type of song by which news was disseminated in Madras during the late 19th and early 20th Centuries?
17. What was the name of the avenue that started at St. Xavier’s Parchery and ran via Monegar Choultry Road to Tondiarpet?
18. What is the archaeological significance to the death of Elizabeth Baker, wife of Aaron Baker, the first President of Madras?
19. Which famous literary logo-character was created by C.V. Margabandhu (C.V. Morgan)?
20. What imposing public utility was inaugurated on Mount Road on All Fool’s Day in 1973?
1. Jupiter, 2. Montenegro, 3. Latvian, 4. Iran, 5. It won the prestigious Man Booker International Prize for David Grossman, 6. Yahoo!, 7. ‘Selfie with Daughter’, 8. The Hindu, 9. Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid, 10. Habibganj.
* * *
Sir William Rose Robinson, 12. M.S. Swaminathan, 13. Koothapiran, 14. Nagesh, 15. Indian vulture, 16. Guzili Paatu, 17. Popham’s Broadway, 18. Her tombstone in St. Mary’s Church. The 1652 inscribed on it, is the oldest British inscription in India, 19. The brahminical-looking person on Ananda Vikatan covers, 20. The Anna Flyover.