Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXVIII No. 11, September 16-30, 2018
(Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s questions are from August 16th to 31st. Questions 11 to 20 relate to Chennai and Tamil Nadu.)
1. Name the West Bengal athlete who became first Indian to win a Heptathlon gold in the Asian Games.
2. The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) recently unveiled details of its first indigenous human space mission to be launched in 2022. What is it dubbed as?
3. Google’s recent project to allow Indian vernacular news publishers to get their content online and expand the reach of Indian content is called?
4. What first does the European Space Agency’s recently launched satellite ‘Aeolus’ claim to be?
5. On August 24th, which industrial behemoth became the first Indian company to cross the Rs. 8 lakh crore ($114 billion) market cap?
6. Which Indian was ranked seventh on Forbes list of highest-earning women sportspersons in the world (between June 2017 and June 2018) with $8.5 million?
7. Name the former UN Secretary-General from Africa and a Nobel Laureate who passed away recently.
8. In which African country was the 11th World Hindi Conference held recently?
9. Which Bharat Ratna awardee passed away recently?
10. Recently, a team of international researchers, including 18 Indians, decoded the genome of the world’s most widely cultivated crop. Which crop?
* * *
11. Which famous sweet and savouries shop chain was started by N.K. Mahadeva Iyer in 1948?
12. What do the initials K.V. stand for in the name of the legendary music composer K.V. Mahadevan?
13. Which Chennai college had its genesis as the Madras Preparatory School in 1840?
14. Name the paper established by G. Parameswaran Pillai that became Gandhiji’s platform to write about the grievances of Indians in South Africa.
15. Which building in Chennai, at the time of its construction the tallest in India, was to be named ‘United India Building’ by the industrialist who conceived it?
16. Who suggested the imagery on the Chennai Corporation flag which has the Pandiya,Chola and Chera symbols of fish, tiger and bow?
17. How did the house of Bulusu Sambamurthy in Mylapore make news in the last quarter of 1952, having an impact on the geography of India?
18. Robert Bourke was the Governor of Madras between 1886 and 1890. What is his peerage name which is more famous?
19. Which college is considered Madras’s first women’s college?
20. Name the Kannadasan-produced 1957 film on the Maruthu Pandiya brothers.Answers to Quiz
1.Swapna Barman, 2.Gaganyaan, 3. Project Navlekha, 4. It is the world’s first wind-sensing satellite dedicated to map Earth’s wind on a global scale, 5. Reliance Industries Ltd., 6. P.V. Sindhu, 7. Kofi Annan, 8. Madagascar, 9. Atal Behari Vajpayee, 10. Wheat.
* * *
11. Sri Krishna Sweets, 12. Krishnankoil Venkatachalam, 13. Presidency College, 14. Madras Standard, 15. LIC Building, 16. M.P. Sivagnanam, 17. Potti Sriramulu fasted to death for a creation of a separate Andhra State, 18. Baron Connemara, 19. Queen Mary’s College (QMC), 20. Sivagangai Seemai.