Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXVIII No. 14, November 1-15, 2018
(Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s questions are from October 1st to 15th. Questions 11 to 20 relate to Chennai and Tamil Nadu.)
1. Name the present CJI sworn in on October 3.
2. Which famous type of mango from Ratnagiri, Sindhudurg, Palghar, Thane and Raigad Districts of Maharashtra got a Geographical Indication (GI) recently?
3. Which Nobel Prize has been jointly shared by Denis Mukwege and Nadia Murad?
4. According to the 2018 Henley Index, which country has the most powerful passport with its holders enjoying visa-free access to 190 destinations?
5. Arkady Dvorkovich is the new president of which sporting body in which India has produced a five-time World Champion?
6. Name the maverick English artist, whose painting ‘Girl with Balloon’ self-destructed through a built-in shredder hidden in the frame after selling for $1.4 million at an auction.
7. Google recently announced that it is shutting down which offering after seven years due to ‘very low usage’ and a software error?
8. Which Indian State has been named the world’s first totally organic agriculture state?
9. Name the new word added to the Oxford Dictionary which refers to a society consisting of or governed by people characterised as idiots or a government formed of people considered stupid.
10. In which State capital is India’s and Asia’s first Dolphin Research Centre to come up soon?
* * *
11. Who has been the most famous resident of 75 (new 67) Thulasinga Perumal Kovil Street in Triplicane?
12. Which legendary film-maker’s family’s house was at the place where the present Dominic Savio School is located in San Thomé?
13. Parasakthi, which saw the debut of Sivaji Ganesan, was made based on whose stage play?
14. In August 1777, Moinudeen Mahomed Abu Baker became the first to officially hold which post specific to his religion?
15. Which cricketer from Chennai has the distinction of scoring a century on his Test debut for India?
16. What is the surname of the English civil servant with the Christian names George Townsend who has a famous thoroughfare named after him in T. Nagar?
17. Which famous sabha was founded by Manni Thirumalachariar in 1900?
18. Which school in Mylapore, started in 1937 by V.N. Sharma and his German wife Ellen, was one of the city’s first Montessori Schools?
19. What is the name of the auditorium in Kalakshetra that is built in the Kerala style?
20. Which big medical facility in that began functioning in 1961 Adyar was the brainchild of Dr. K.S. Sanjivi?Answers to Quiz
1. Ranjan Gogoi, 2. Alphonso, 3. Peace Prize, 4. Japan, 5. FIDE (Chess), 6. Banksy, 7. Google +, 8. Sikkim, 9. Idiocracy, 10. Patna.
* * *
11. Subramania Bharathi, 12. K. Subrahmanyam, 13. Pavalar Balasundaram, 14. Chief Kazi of Madras, 15. A.G. Milkha Singh, 16. Boag, 17. Sri Parthasarathy Swami Sabha, 18. Children’s Garden School, 19. Koothambalam, 20. Voluntary Health Services Hospital.