Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXVIII No. 15, November 16-30, 2018
(Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s questions are from October 16th to 31st. Questions 11 to 20 relate to Chennai and Tamil Nadu.)
1. On October 30th, the foundation for India’s largest dry dock was laid in which southern port city?
2. In which Eurasian Capital was the world’s largest airport terminal under one roof, with a capacity to serve 90 million passengers, opened recently?
3. Which country is planning to launch the world’s first “artificial moon” into orbit by 2020 to illuminate city streets after dark?
4. Which famous UNESCO WHS structure in Barcelona recently received a building permit to complete construction, 136 years after beginning construction?
5. Whose record did Lewis Hamilton emulate by clinching his fifth Formula One drivers” title?
6. Which spacecraft recently became the closest ever sent to the Sun, by passing 42.7 million km from the star’s surface?
7. Simple. What is the height of the tallest statue in the world, Sardar Vallabhai Patel, inaugurated on October 31st?
8. In which affluent Asian country did PayTM launch PayPay, a QR-based smartphone payment service?
9. After which freedom fighter is the new annual award to honour the police and paramilitary personnel, involved in disaster response operations, named?
10. Which is the only Indian firm in the top 25 of Forbes magazine’s “Global 2000 Best Employers” list?
* * *
11. What first is ascribed to Seshadri “Nague” of Porto Novo in the context of the history of English Madras?
12. The country” first organised trade union was formed in Madras at a meeting on April 27, 1918. What was it called?
13. The first auctioneers in Madras, concentrating on railway scrap, are synonymous with a famous stationery brand from this part of the world. Name the family.
14. Which structure in the Parry’s area serves as the Standard Bench Mark for Madras?
15. Which Chief Minister of Madras Presidency went on to become the first Chief Minister of the new Andhra State?
16. Name the association started in Pachaiyappa’s Hall in 1883 with the aim of getting Europeans to appreciate Carnatic music.
17. Name the first Indian Vice-Chancellor of the Madras University whose statue can be found with its back to the Senate House.
18. Where is the Dr. A.L. Mudaliar Post Graduate Institute of Basic Medical Sciences located in Chennai?
19. What “public” service started functioning from Little Nook on Marshall’s Road in Egmore in June 1938?
20. Which palatial building in Triplicane amalgamated Indo-Saracenic features with the design of Osborne House, Queen Victoria’s villa on the Isle of Wight?Answers to Quiz
1. Kochi, 2. Istanbul, 3. China, 4. Sagrada Família, 5. The great Juan Manuel Fangio, 6. NASA’s Parker Solar Probe, 7. 182 metres, 8. Japan, 9. Subhash Chandra Bose, 10. L&T.
* * *
11. He is considered the Company’s first Merchant at Madraspatam, 12. Madras Labour Union, 13. V. Perumal Chetty, 14. The 160 feet tall Doric column, that served as lighthouse, in the High Court campus, 15. T. Prakasam, 16. Madras (later, Jubilee) Gayana Samaj, 17. S. Subramania Aiyar, 18. Taramani, 19. The Madras station of All India Radio, 20. Amir Mahal.