Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXVIII No. 18, January 1-15, 2019
(Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s questions are from December 1st to 15th. Questions 11 to 20 relate to Chennai and Tamil Nadu.)
1. Name India’s first locomotive-less train that crossed the 180 km/ph speed limit during a test run on December 2nd.
2. Name the Croatian footballer who won the coveted ‘Ballon D’Or’ for 2018 to break the 10-year sequence set by Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.
3. In a deal worth Rs. 31,700 crore, with whom has GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare (GSKCH India) decided to merge?
4. Name India’s first privately built satellite that was launched by the Elon Musk company SpaceX recently.
5. Which film personality tops the annual Forbes India 2018 Celebrity 100 list with a net worth of Rs. 253.25 crore?
6. Which airlines has become the first Indian carrier to have 200 aircraft in its fleet?
7. According to the World Bank, India has retained its position as the world’s top recipient of remittances in 2018, with its diaspora sending back how much money?
8. Where will India’s first underwater museum be opened in the decommissioned INS Cuddalore?
9. In which State is the Kaiga Power Station-1 that recently created a world record for the longest uninterrupted operation (941 days)?
10. What is the Home Ministry’s new Twitter account to create awareness about cybercrimes, and normal precautions to be taken, called?
* * *
11. Where in the State will the country’s first music museum be set up with assistance from the Central Government?
12. Name the fencer from the State who won the gold in sabre event at the Commonwealth Championships in Australia recently.
13. Which book has won S. Ramakrishnan the Sahitya Akademi award for 2018?
14. Name the famed agriculturist, credited with documenting and protecting more than 170 paddy varieties, who passed away recently.
15. What is the new 24-hour toll free helpline number for women facing domestic violence and sexual harassment?
16. Who recently received the “Best Woman Parliamentarian – Rajya Sabha” award from by Vice-President M. Venkaiah Naidu?
17. Name the 1980 batch IAS officer of Tamil Nadu cadre who has become the new RBI Governor.
18. What is the present name of the private botanical garden and fernery created by A. Arumugam Mudaliar, which he handed over to the Corporation in 1899?
19. Name the structure, built in early 1880s at one end of the Red Hills lake, that is a principal conduit of water supply to Madras.
20. In Pitt’s map of 1709, which streets were called Washers’ Street and Weavers’ Street?Answers to Quiz
* * *
11. Thiruvaiyaru, 12. Bhavani Devi, 13. Karisal Bhoomi, 14. Nel Jayaraman, 15. 181, 16. Kanimozhi, 17. Shaktikanta Das, 18. Aringnar Anna Park in Washermenpet, 19. Jones Tower, 20. Mint Street and Nainiappa Naicken Street.