Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXVIII No. 2, May 1-15, 2018
(Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s questions are from April 1st to 15th. Questions 11 to 20 relate to Chennai and Tamil Nadu.)
1. Which Gulf nation recently announced that a recently-discovered offshore oilfield in its territorial waters contains a whopping 80 billion barrels of petroleum?
2. Recently, Eurostar launched a direct rail service between London and which capital on the Continent?
3. Which place, a scene of a major disaster in the mid-1980s, has opened its doors to tourism?
4. Which actor has been chosen, posthumously, for this year’s Dadasaheb Phalke Award?
5. Boeing India, HAL and Mahindra Defence Systems have entered into agreement to make which hi-tech fighter jet in India?
6. What is the aim of ‘Project Dhoop’ launched recently by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI)?
7. What feature has the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) introduced in eAadhaar?
8. Experts recently discovered Walmiki and Malhar was prevalent in remote regions of Odisha. What are they?
9. In a massive show of strength, the IAF recently conducted the biggest ever war combat game exercise on the Pakistan and China border. What was it called?
10. Which institution has been adjudged as overall best Indian university in the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) 2018 (NIRF-3) released by the Ministry of Human Resource Development?
* * *
11. For which play was Bharatidasan awarded the Sahitya Academy Puraskar posthumously in 1970?
12. Which singer (and for which song) won the first-ever National Award for Best Female Playback singer in 1968?
13. By what name is Deodi Sardar-ul-mulk Dilawar Jung Bahadur in Mylapore now known?
14. According to a 1635 map by Pedro Barretto de Rezende, there were four churches in San Thomé Fort apart from the Cathedral. Two were St. Paul’s and St. Dominic’s. Name the other two.
15. The MGR film Kalankarai Vilakkam is based on which Hitchcock thriller?
16. Fill in the blanks. The first and only church built in Madras by American missionaries
is ___ ___?
17. Which 55,000 sq ft building now stands on the site of the military fortification ‘Abercrombie Battery’?
18. What came up on a sprawl of 131 acres, bounded by the Theosophical Society, Adyar River and the Buckingham Canal, that was bought from the Archbishop of Madras?
19. Why was the fort near Cuddalore christened Fort St. David?
20. In which Thoothukudi District town was Nammalvar born?Answers to Quiz
1. Bahrain, 2. Amsterdam, 3. Chernobyl, 4. Vinod Khanna, 5. F/A18 Super Hornet, 6. To address rising incidence of Vitamin D deficiencies (VDD), particularly amongst young people, 7. A secured digitally-signed QR that will contain the photograph of that Aadhaar holder in addition to demographic details, 8. Two endangered languages, 9. Gagan Shakti 2018, 10. Indian Institute of Science.
* * *
11. Pisiranthaiyar, 12. P. Susheela for Paal polave vaan meedhile from Uyarntha Manithan, 13. Devadi Street, 14. St. Augustine’s and Our Lady, 15. Vertigo, 16. Zion Church in Chintadripet, 17. General Post Office (GPO) on Rajaji Salai, 18. Gandhi Nagar, 19. Because the Governor of Madras at the time, Elihu Yale, was Welsh and David is the patron saint of Wales, 20. Alwarthirunagiri.