Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXVIII No. 23, March 16-31, 2019
(Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s questions are from February 16th to 28th. Questions 11 to 20 relate to Chennai and Tamil Nadu.)
1. Which famous Asian cricketer, part of a World Cup-winning squad, was recently banned from all forms of cricket for two years after admitting breaching two counts of the ICC Anti-Corruption Code?
2. Where was the National War Memorial inaugurated by the Prime Minister recently?
3. Yohei Sasakawa, the chairman of The Nippon Foundation, Japan’s largest charitable foundation, was recently awarded which coveted Indian prize for 2018 by President Ram Nath Kovind?
4. Who recently became the first Indian to be appointed to Amazon’s Board of Directors?
5. Bohemian Rhapsody, which won four Oscars, is a biographical film about which music icon?
6. Which two North Eastern States observe their Statehood Day on February 20th?
7. What is the new interest rate on the Employees’ Provident Fund (for 2018-19)?
8. Justice D K Jain has been appointed the first Ombudsman for which powerful sports body in the country?
9. In which State was KP-BOT, India’s first humanoid police robot, put into action recently?
10. What dubious and unfortunate first has the Bramble Cay melomys, a rodent living in Australia, achieved?
* * *
11. Name the team that won the inaugural edition of the Pro Volleyball League (PVL) recently.
12. Where in the State was the second Coast Guard district headquarters, after Chennai, inaugurated by the Governor recently?
13. Which newly formed party has been allotted the ‘battery torch’ as its symbol?
14. Name the 16-yr-old from Erode who has become India’s 61st and latest chess Grandmaster.
15. Apart from AIADMK, which two parties in the AIADMK alliance are contesting in at least five seats in the forthcoming Lok Sabha elections in the State?
16. Which bustling city in the State is one of the four Indian cities to have been selected for the City Wide Inclusive Sanitation (CWIS) initiative, supported by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation?
17. Name the author of the book Nadar Varalaru Karuppa, Kaviya, about the history of the Nadars, who courted controversy recently.
18. Name the new commissioner of the Greater Chennai Corporation.
19. Name the trans woman-dancer from the State who has been awarded the Padma Shri this year.
20. Simple. Name the State’s newest and 33rd district.
1. Sanath Jayasuriya, 2. New Delhi, 3. Gandhi Peace Prize, 4. Indra Nooyi, 5. Freddie Mercury of ‘Queen’, 6. Arunachal Pradesh and Mizoram, 7. 8 65% (from 8.55%), 8. BCCI, 9. Kerala, 10. It has been designated the first mammal to have been made extinct by man-made climate change.
* * *
11. Chennai Spartans, 12. Thoothukudi, 13. Kamal Haasan’s ‘Makkal Needhi Maiam’, 14. Iniyan Panneerselvam, 15. PMK (7 seats) and BJP (5), 16. Tiruchirapalli, 17. R. Lajapathi Roy, 18. G. Prakash, ias, 19. Nartaki Natraj, 20. Kallakurichi.