Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXVIII No. 24, April 1-15, 2019
(Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s questions are from March 1st to 15th. Questions 11 to 20 relate to Chennai and Tamil Nadu.)
1. On March 13, which enterprise became the third Indian company to achieve a market value of more than Rs.6 trillion?
2. On March 6, which famous cultivar from the State was given a Geographical Indication (GI) tag after a process spread over 8 years?
3. What is the five-volume compilation of selected speeches of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, released in early March, called?
4. Of the recently released visually impaired friendly coins in the denominations of Re. 1, Rs. 2, Rs. 5, Rs. 10 and Rs. 20, which is polygon-shaped and has 12 sides?
5. Which Indian has been appointed Chief Scientist of the World Health Organisation (WHO)?
6. According to the Forbes World’s Billionaires list, which Indian, apart from Mukesh Ambani (13th), is in the top 50 at 34th place?
7. According to a report released by IQAir AirVisual and Greenpeace on March 5, which region in North India topped the 2018 report for the most polluted city in the world?
8. Which former India skipper has been reappointed as the chairman of the ICC Cricket Committee?
9. Name the Indian-American television personality and food expert, one-time married to a Booker Prize-winning author, who has been appointed by the United Nations Development Programme as its new Goodwill Ambassador?
10. Which city won the prize for the ‘cleanest Indian city’ for the third time at Swachh Survekshan 2019 Awards on March 6?
* * *
11. The Srivilliputhur Wildlife Sanctuary was established in 1988 to protect a particular animal of the Order Rodentia which also lends its name to the sanctuary. Which animal?
12. Who is the Commissioner of Police, Greater Chennai?
13. What is the Tamil name for the herb Sarsaparilla?
14. Thiruchengodu Ramalingam Sundaram is synonymous with which film outfit?
15. Which edifice is located at 1131, EVR Periyar Salai, Park Town?
16. What was the birth name of Appar or Tirunavukkarasar?
17. Name the author of the five well-researched works on Carnatic music, namely A Garland, Another Garland, Yet Another Garland, Fragrant Garland and Melodic Garland, who passed away recently.
18. At Thirumogur, the utsavar has a ‘friendly’ name. What is the name of the moolavar?
19. Which pharmaceutical house of yore in the city was founded and run by Dr. Vurdappah Naidu?
20. Expand VM as in the name of the street stretching from Triplicane to Mylapore?Answers to Quiz
1. HDFC Bank, 2. Erode turmeric, 3. Sabka Saath Sabka Vikas, 4. Rs. 20, 5. Soumya Swaminathan, 6. Wipro’s Azim Premji, 7. Gurugram in the NCR, 8. Anil Kumble, 9. Padma Lakshmi, the former spouse of Salman Rishdie, 10. Indore.
* * *
11. Grizzled Squirrel Wildlife Sanctuary, 12. Dr. A.K. Viswanathan, ips, 13. Nannari, 14. Modern Theatres, Salem, 15. Ripon Building, 16. Marulneekkiyar, 17. N. Rajagopalan (IAS retd), 18. Kaalameghan, 19. Allbutt’s, 20. Venkatachala Mudali.