Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXVIII No. 7, July 16-31, 2018
(Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s questions are from June 16th to 30th. Questions 11 to 20 relate to Chennai and Tamil Nadu.)
1. For what purpose did the Union Government launch the app ‘ReUnite’ on June 29th?
2. Who recently broke Sriram Singh’s 42-year-oald 800m athletics National record?
3. Which academic institution has developed the new digital initiative of the HRD Ministry called ‘National Digital Library of India’?
4. Name the IBM supercomputer that overtook China’s Sunway TaihuLight to become the world’s fastest supercomputer?
5. According to Forbes, who on June 18 became the world’s richest person with $141 billion net worth?
6. The Union Ministry of Power is considering making which temperature as mandatory default setting and labelling of air conditioners within few months?
7. What was the theme for the 4th International Yoga Day observed on June 21st?
8. Name the world-famous, 46 year-old gorilla that mastered sign language and which passed away recently.
9. According to Swachh Survekshan 2018 report, which was the cleanest Indian city in the overall rankings?
10. Which Chennai boy became the world’s second youngest chess GM at 12 years, 10 months and 13 days?
* * *
11. According to the recently released 2011 Census data on language and mother tongue, where does Tamil rank in the list of most widely spoken languages?
12. With which film did J. Mahendran make his directorial debut?
13. Where in Chennai was a tower designed by Henry Irwin that was inspired by the tower at the Palazzo Vecchio in Florence?
14. On which legendary percussionist will the Music Academy confer a ‘Special Lifetime Achievement Award’ in October?
15. If it was Madurai for M.S. Subbulakshmi and Madras for M.L. Vasantakumari, what was it for D.K. Pattammal?
16. Name the 19-year-old from Chennai who was crowned Miss India 2018 recently.
17. Which of the three main sections in the Tirukkural has the least number of couplets (250)?
18. Name the three theatres that Raghupathy Venkiah, a pioneer of cinema in the South, set up in Madras during the WWI years.
19. What is the present name of Cuddon Building on Mount Road?
20. Which structure was named Majeed Dowlah on its first appearance on an 1816 map of Madras?Answers to Quiz
1. To track and trace missing children, 2. Jinson Johnson, 3. IIT Kharagpur, 4. Summit, 5. Jeff Bezos, 6. 24 degrees Celsius, 7. ‘Yoga for Peace’, 8. Koko, 9. Indore, 10. R. Praggnanandhaa.
* * *
11. Fifth, 12. Mullum Malarum, 13. Museum complex in Egmore, 14. ‘Vikku’ T.H. Vinayakram, 15. Damal, 16. Anukreethy Vas, 17. Kamattupal, 18. Gaiety, Crown and Globe, 19. Gove Building, 20. Thousand Lights Mosque.