Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXIX No. 1, April 16-30, 2019
(Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s questions are from March 16th to 31st. Questions 11 to 20 relate to Chennai and Tamil Nadu.)
1. Which Bharat Ratna was recently given the Bodley Medal, the highest honour bestowed by the University of Oxford’s world-famous Bodleian Libraries for his contribution in literature, culture, science, and communication?
2. Name the two new tools launched by Facebook specifically for Indian users that is aimed at civic engagement on its site during the general elections.
3. According to media reports, the Pakistan government recently approved a proposal to establish a corridor to allow pilgrims to visit which ancient Hindu temple and cultural site in PoK?
4. Who has become the first Lokpal or anti-corruption ombudsman of India?
5. On March 20, the United Nations released an annual report where India is ranked 140th out of 156 nations with Finland topping for the second successive year. What report?
6. Which Tamil Nadu-based club is the new I-League football champion?
7. Google’s recently announced service that allows one to to play high-end games without purchasing expensive consoles is called…?
8. Which Asian country has renamed its capital as Nursultan in honour of its longstanding leader Nursultan Nazarbayev?
9. Which Indian is on top of the Forbes list for “World’s Richest Sports Team Owners 2019”?
10. K.T. Irfan has become the first Indian athlete to qualify for 2020 Tokyo Olympics. In which sport?
* * *
11. What now stands on Mount Road where once the Narasu Studios (formerly Vel Studio) stood?
12. Which film was Sivaji Ganesan’s first venture as a producer?
13. The book ‘Friends of the Earth’ is about which nearly 160-year-old company that is part of the Amalgamations Group?
14. What are the names of Lakshmi and Vishnu in the Divya Desam temple in Thiruvallur?
15. According to the popular song from ‘Bommalattam’, if Jaggu was for Jaambajaar, then who was it for Saidapet?
16. With which centre of learning in Chennai has Cricinfo partnered to launch ‘Superstats’, an AI tool that can analyse cricket statistics?
17. After which freedom fighter is the Wall Tax Road named?
18. The St. Rita’s church in Santhome is dedicated to the memory of which nation?
19. Where was the Madras Club located before moving into its present location on the banks of the Adyar?
20. How does one know the star of yesteryears Ramnarayan Venkataramana Sarma?Answers to Quiz
1. Amartya Sen, 2. ‘Candidate Connect’ and ‘Share You Voted’, 3. Sharda Peeth, 4. Pinaki Chandra Ghose, 5. ‘World Happiness Report’, 6. Chennai City FC, 7. Stadia, 8. Kazakhstan, 9. Mukesh Ambani, 10. Race-walking.
* * *
ITC Grand Chola, 12. Puthiya Paravai, 13. T. Stanes & Co. Ltd., 14. Kanakavalli and Vaidya Veeraraghava Perumal,15. Sokku, 16. IIT Madras, 17. V.O. Chidambaranar, 18. Armenia, 19. Branson Bagh opposite the Church Park School, 20. Ranjan.