Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXIX No. 10, September 1-15, 2019
(Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s questions are from August 1st to 15th. Questions 11 to 20 relate to Chennai and Tamil Nadu.)
1. Name the articles recently repealed by the Government of India, that granted special status to Jammu and Kashmir.
2. Scientists from the University of Leeds recently announced the development of ‘Nanoseaweed’. At one million times thinner than the human fingernail, it is the world’s thinnest..?
3. As per the latest data released by Ethnologue, a directory of languages, which small country in Oceania has the highest number of living languages (840 languages)?
4. Who is the only Indian woman in Forbes magazine’s top 15 ‘highest-paid women in sports’ list?
5. Name the actors who have won the Best Actor(Male) award in the 66th edition of the National Film Awards 2019.
6. As per the Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Act, 2019 what amount is the penalty for an individual driving without licence?
7. Which State claimed a world record by planting over 22 crore saplings, under its ‘Vriksharopan Mahakumbh’, in a day?
8. On August 9, which entity launched its own OS named HongMengOS?
9. In another instance of breaking the glass ceiling, what first is the former director of the National Institute of Immunology (NII), Delhi, Chandrima Shaha, set to achieve?
10. ‘Listening, Learning and Leading’ launched by Home Minister Amit Shah in Chennai chronicles two years in office of which leader?
* * *
11. Who donated the statue of Robert Caldwell that stands on the Marina?
12. Which temple’s fabled religious offering is the latest from the State to get the GI tag?
13. Name the two new districts to be formed from the trifurcation of Vellore?
14. Who is the latest Lok Sabha MP from the State?
15. Which church, consecrated in 1852, was built on land donated by Thomas Parker Waller whose livery stables adjoined the property?
16. Which Mylapore institution was founded by R. Raghunatha Rao, V. Krishnaswami Aiyar and P.R. Sundara Aiyar in 1904?
17. Victor ______ Coutts-Trotter was the Chief Justice of the Madras HC between 1924-29. What is the missing name that is also the name of one of Madras’ iconic institutions?
18. What is the origin of the commonly used expletive ‘kedi’?
19. Where can one see the motto ‘Doctrina Vim Promovet Insitam’?
20. One of the oldest radiology institutes in the world is located in the Rajiv Gandhi General Hospital. Name it.Answers to Quiz
1. Article 370 and 35A, 2. Gold, 3. Papua New Guinea, 4. The new World badminton champion P.V. Sindhu, 5. Ayushmann Khurrana and Vicky Kaushal, 6. Rs. 5000, 7. Uttar Pradesh, 8. Huawei Technologies, 9. First woman President of Indian National Science Academy, the apex body of Indian scientists, 10. Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu.
* * *
11. Church of South India, 12. Palani panchamirtham, 13. Tirupathur and Ranipet, 14. DMK’s Kathir Anand, 15.Christ Church on Mount Road, 16.Ranade Library, 17. Murray (of Murray & Co. fame), 18. From the abbreviation KD (Known Delinquent), 19. On the coat of arms of the University of Madras, 20. Barnard Institute of Radiology.