Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXIX No. 11, September 16-30, 2019
(Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s questions are from August 16th to 31st. Questions 11 to 20 relate to Chennai and Tamil Nadu.)
1. What global first did Russia’s Akademik Lomonosov nuclear reactor achieve recently?
2. Where did P.V. Sindhu create history by becoming the first Indian to be crowned world badminton champion?
3. In which gulf country’s capital is the 200-year-old Shreenathji (Krishna) temple, the oldest in that region, for which a $4.2 million redevelopment project was recently launched by Narendra Modi ?
4. Name the two sports-persons conferred the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna by President Ram Nath Kovind on Aug 29.
5. In a first of its kind, where in Mumbai did President Kovind inaugurate a 15,000 square feet underground bunker museum?
6. What World record did the biographical documentary 100 years of Chrysostom on the 102-year- old Metropolitan Emeritus Philipose Mar Chrysostom set recently?
7. In a first of its kind, NASA has reportedly begun an investigation into an allegation of a crime in space by astronaut Anne McClain. What did she do?
8. Donald Trump pulled out of a state visit to Denmark after the European nation’s prime minister rebuffed what suggestion made by the US President?
9. Which globally successful movie franchise’s 25th film is to be called No Time To Die?
10. Which popular superhero will be absent from the Marvel Cinematic Universe for the time being after Sony and Marvel failed to reach an agreement on the character?
* * *
11. What is the Tamil Nadu Government’s recently-launched exclusive education TV channel called?
12. On August 27, the Geographical Indication Registry of India granted Geographical Indication (GI) tag to the which two products from the State?
13. Where in the State did researchers recently discover the highly endangered Peacock Parachute Spider or Gooty Tarantula?
14. Which legendary builder had houses named Ravenscroft, Nutford, Sydenham, Qudsia and Mariposa among others?
15. Which post office in 1855 became the first in Madras to get a post box?
16. Contrary to perception, British Madras’ first church is not St Mary’s in the Fort but one that came up in 1642. Name it.
17. K. Subrahmanyam is said to have to be the first Tamil film-maker to make a Hindi film, way back in 1939. Name it.
18. Who was the only CM to occupy Cooum House, the official residence meant for the Chief Ministers of Tamil Nadu?
19. The only one of its kind in Madras is located on Arathoon Road in Royapuram. What is it?
20. Who was the more famous father-in-law of Lord Connemara?Answers to Quiz
1. It is the world’s first floating nuclear reactor, 2. Basel (Switzerland), 3. Manama (Bahrain), 4. Deepa Malik and Bajrang Punia, 5. Below the Raj Bhavan, 6. As the longest documentary with a length of 48 hours and 8 minutes, 7. She accessed her estranged spouse’s bank account from the International Space Station, 8. Buy Greenland!, 9. James Bond, 10. Spiderman.
* * *
11. Kalvi Tholaikkatchi, 12. Dindigul lock and Karaikudi Kandangi sarees, 13. Pakkamalai Reserve Forests near Gingee, 14. T Namberumal Chetty, 15. Moubray’s (TTK) Road, 16. St. Andrew’s, 17. Prem Sagar, 18. T. Prakasam, 19. Parsi Fire Temple, 20. Governor-General Lord Dalhousie.