Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXIX No. 12, October 1-15, 2019
(Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s questions are from September 1st to 15th. Questions 11 to 20 relate to Chennai and Tamil Nadu.)
1. Which Indian film was listed in the “The Guardian list of the 100 Best Films of the 21st Century”?
2. Which Indian won his World record-improving 22nd World title in Myanmar recently?
3. According to a recent United Nations panel finding, USA, France, UK and Iran may be complicit in war crimes in which Asian country?
4. Who gave Canada its first Grand Slam singles tennis title recently?
5. Name the long-standing, much-criticised leader of Zimbabwe who died aged 95 recently.
6. US adventurer and millionaire financier Victor Vescovo has become the first person to do what feat?
7. UNESCO has decided to translate and publish an anthology of writings of which religious order’s founder in world languages to commemorate his 550th birth anniversary?
8. Who recently, at the age of 20 years and 350 days, became the youngest captain in Test cricket?
9. Which place in Jammu and Kashmir has been named country’s ‘Best Swachh Iconic Place’?
10. The Union Health Ministry has announced plans to set up National Genomic Grid for the research purpose of which disease?
* * *
11. Why was Sri Kulasekaramudaiyar Temple of Kallidaikurichi in the news recently?
12. For what mega project have Thiruporur, Cheyyar, Vallathur, Thodur, Maduramangalam and Mappedu been short-listed?
13. Artefacts found in which place in Sivagangai district have determined a possible link between the scripts of the Indus Valley Civilisation and Tamil Brahmi, the precursor to modern Tamil?
14. Why is September 17, 1949 an epochal date in Tamil Nadu politics?
15. According to popular lore, actor Nagaiah founded which institution after seeing some people huddled, braving the rain, at a bus-stop to go for a kacheri at Mylapore?
16. After which activist is the Loane Square Garden on Broadway named?
17. How does one better know Kuppuswamy Iyer of Pattamadai who once practised in Malaya before finding his life’s calling in Rishikesh?
18. Which famous establishment in George Town was established by M.C. Cunnan Chetty in the mid-1920s?
19. In which institution did Dr. Andrew Bell develop what became known as the Madras System of Education?
20. In which area did the famous Giacomo d’Angelis make the first flight in Madras in March 1910?Answers to Quiz
1. Anurag Kashyap’s Gangs Of Wasseypur, 2. Pankaj Advani, 3. Yemen, 4. Bianca Andreescu at the US Open, 5. Robert Mugabe, 6. Visited the deepest points in every ocean, 7. Guru Nanak, 8. Rashid Khan of Afghanistan, 9. Vaishno Devi temple, 10. Cancer.
* * *
11. A Nataraja idol stolen from temple 37 years ago was traced to a museum in Australia and brought back, 12. Second airport for Chennai, 13. Keezhadi, 14. The DMK was ‘born’, 15. Vani Mahal, 16. Mayor Sriramulu Naidu, 17. Swami Sivananda, 18. Gem & Co., 19. St. George’s School & Orphanage, 20. Pallavaram