Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXIX No. 13, October 16-31, 2019
(Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s questions are from September 16th to 30th. Questions 11 to 20 relate to Chennai and Tamil Nadu.)
1. The International Astronomical Union recently named a minor planet between Mars and Jupiter after which famous Indian classical singer?
2. Which Indian tech major has won the United Nations Global Climate Action Award (UNGCAA) in the ‘Climate Neutral Now’ category?
3. Which former Chief Executive of the World Bank is the new MD of the International Monetary Fund?
4. Who were voted the best men’s and women’s players in the recent Best FIFA Football Awards held in Milan?
5. Who will be honoured with the Dadasaheb Phalke Award, India’s highest in cinema, for the year 2018?
6. Which State Govt. has launched the country’s first ‘Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS)’ described as the world’s first market for trading in Particulate Matter emissions?
7. Which film will be India’s official entry to the Oscars 2020?
8. Fill in the blanks: On September 17, the first-ever World ____ ______ Day was observed by World Health Organisation with a global campaign ‘Medication without Harm’.
9. Name the iconic and the world’s oldest travel operator that went into administration recently.
10. In one of its significant acquisitions, Facebook paid a reported $500 million for technology start-up CTRL-Labs. What does CTRL-Labs primarily make?
* * *
11. What emergency solution for the city which started on July 12 was wound up on October 8?
12. Which place in its heyday had 11 ponds, about 9 kms of road, a public bath, two tennis courts, mini zoo and a bandstand?
13. Where was the first screening of films in Madras done on December 5, 1896?
14. Which famous but now non-existent edifice, completed in 1900, was the handiwork of architect R.E. Ellis and contractor A. Subramania Aiyer?
15. Which institution in the metropolis is considered the “birthplace of boxing in India”?
16. In 1957, who became the first woman Mayor of Madras?
17. Which institution in Vepery is considered the first missionary-founded school in India?
18. What was started by Dr. Alexander Hunter, a military surgeon, in Popham’s Broadway in May 1850?
19. What is presently located at 84/1 Periyar Thidal, E.V.K Sampath Salai?
20. Expand IMPCOPS, located on Lattice Bridge Road in Adyar, known for its Ayurveda and Natural medicines.Answers to Quiz
1. Pandit Jasraj, 2. Infosys, 3. Kristalina Georgieva, 4. Lionel Messi (Argentina) and Megan Rapinoe (USA), 5. Amitabh Bachchan, 6. Gujarat, 7. ‘Gully Boy’, 8. Patient Safety, 9. Thomas Cook, 10. Mind-reading wristband.
* * *
11. The water train from Jolarpettai, 12. People’s Park, 13. Victoria Public Hall, 14. Moore Market, 15. South India Athletic Association (founded in 1901), 16. Tara Cherian, 17. St. Paul’s, 18. The Madras School of Arts, 19. The Dravida Kazhagam office, 20. Indian Medical Practitioners Co-operative Pharmacy and Stores Ltd.