Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXIX No. 14, November 1-15, 2019
(Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s questions are from October 1st to 15th. Questions 11 to 20 relate to Chennai and Tamil Nadu.)
1. To mark the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, PM Narendra Modi released commemorative coins of what value at the Sabarmati Ashram?
2. On October 8, which planet overtook Jupiter for having most number of moons after 20 new satellites were discovered?
3. India ranks 68th in the latest annual Global Competitiveness Index compiled by World Economic Forum. Which Asian country has supplanted USA at the top?
4. USA’s Dalilah Muhammad set the lone World Record at the World Athletics Championships in Doha recently. In which event?
5. Which body recently became the first UN organisation to hold and make transactions in cryptocurrency?
6. Donors from across the world recently pledged just over $14 billion for the next three years to save 16 million lives and help end which three deadly diseases by 2030?
7. The 100th Nobel Prize for Peace has been awarded to which African country’s head?
8. Which coveted literary prize was jointly won by Margaret Atwood and Bernardine Evaristo, the first joint-winners since 1992?
9. On October 15, Air India became the first airline in the world to use a Taxibot on a A320 aircraft with passengers on-board. What is Taxibot?
10. Name the Indian nun who was elevated to sainthood by the Pope on October 13.
* * *
11. Which Sangam era book of poems was written by the poet Uruttiragannanar in praise of the Chola king Karikala?
12. Which famous GI-tagged lamp is exclusively made by the Pather (Kammalar) community of the State?
13. Which player from the State was the only Indian to win a gold medal at the World Youth Chess Championship held in Mumbai recently?
14. What first in the history of IIT Madras did Kavitha Gopal achieve recently?
15. By how many minutes has the education department increased the time for students studying under the State syllabus to complete their public exam papers from the academic year 2019-20?
16. Which self-styled godman, who made news after his properties were raied by the IT department, was born V. Vijaykumar?
17. Which recent blockbuster is based on Sahitya Akademi-winning author Poomani’s Vekkai?
18. Which famous restaurant chain was started by Nagasamy Naidu?
19. Flight services between which famous Sri Lankan town and Tamil Nadu were resumed on October 17 after around 50 years?
20. Which hospital has launched the first memory clinic in Chennai to address dementia and also offer ongoing support and information to people with memory problems?Answers to Quiz
1. Rs. 150, 2. Saturn, 3. Singapore, 4. Women’s 400m hurdles, 5. UNICEF, 6. AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria, 7. Ethiopian Prime Minister Abhiy Ahmed Ali, 8. Booker Prize, 9. It is a robot using aircraft tractor for taxiing an aircraft, from parking bay to runway and vice versa, with its engines switched off, 10. Mariam Thresia.
* * *
11. Pattinappaalai that contains 301 lines of poetry in the ‘akaval’ meter, 12. Annam lamp or Nachiarkoil Kuthuvilakku, 13. R. Praggnanandhaa, 14. She became the first woman to win the President of India prize for outstanding academic performance, 15. 30 minutes, 16. Kalki Bhagwan, 17. The Dhanush-starrer Asuran, 18. Dindigul Thalapakatti biriyani, 19. Jaffna, 20. Kauvery Hospital in Alwarpet.