Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXIX No. 15, November 16-30, 2019
(Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s questions are from October 16th to 30th. Questions 11 to 20 relate to Chennai and Tamil Nadu.)
1. Which famous football club recently conferred life membership to Nobel laureate Abhijit Banerjee?
2. As of October 31, how many States and UTs are there in India?
3. Among the three India-born CEOs in the top 10 of Harvard Business Review’s ‘The Best-Performing CEO in the World, 2019’, who is the top-ranked?
4. Name India’s first international award constituted recently to honour exemplary work and achievements of the heads of State and Government and other distinguished persons/organisations around the world.
5. On October 22, who formally ascended the Chrysanthemum Throne?
6. 13-year-old Raunak Sadhwani has become the 65th Indian to achieve what sporting distinction?
7. What avian superlative was recently attributed to the male White Bellbird found in Central and South America?
8. According to the recently-launched NITI Aayog’s India Innovation Index, which is the most innovative State for 2019?
9. Which tech giant recently announced that it has created a quantum computer whose processor had taken just 200 seconds to perform a “random sampling task” that would take the world’s best classical computers 10,000 years?
10. McAfee, the leading global computer security software company, in its annual ranking said which Indian celebrity was the riskiest celebrity to search for online?
* * *
11. Where and on the banks of which waterbody was the Madras Boat Club founded in 1867?
12. What was the screen name of the 1920s star P.K. Nagalingam, who hailed from Pudukottai?
13. Name the ‘Butcher of Allahabad’ whose statue stood at the Spencer’s junction and was removed in the late 1930s.
14. Name the three women whose statues are on either side of the Kamaraj Salai running alongside the Marina beach.
15. Which edifice’s picture was embroidered on the curtain of the Suguna Vilas Sabha started by Pammal Sambandha Mudaliar?
16. In 1973, where was the first computer in the city (an IBM System 370 Model 155) installed?
17. About whom did Annadurai say “…when I first saw him, I suspected that he was an Aryan. Later, I was pleased learning that he was in fact Dravidian. There is no doubt that his looks will bring success to our plans for the future…”?
18. This actor’s first-signed movie was a bilingual ‘Paradesi’ made by Anjali Devi but the cinematic great’s second flick is nowadays identified as the debut film because it released earlier. Who?
19. For which work did Rajaji get the Sahitya Akademi Award in 1958?
20. Which village in Usilampetti is reputed for sickles (aruvaals)?Answers to Quiz
1. Mohun Bagan, 2. 28 States and 9 UTs, 3. Shantanu Narayen of Adobe, 4. Gandhi Mandela Award, 5. Emperor Naruhito of Japan, 6. Grandmaster in chess, 7. Loudest bird with its call reaching 125 dB (similar to what you’d hear standing next to speakers at a rock concert), 8. Karnataka, 9. Google, 10. M.S. Dhoni.
* * *
11. The backwaters of the Ennore Creek that was fed by the Kosasthaliyar, 12. Raja Sandow, 13. James Neil, 14. Kannagi, Avvayar and Annie Besant, 15. The Madras University Senate hall, 16. IIT Madras, 17. MGR, 18. ‘Sivaji’ Ganesan, 19. Chakravarti Tirumagan, 20. Thirupachethi.