Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXIX No. 16, December 1-15, 2019
(Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s questions are from November 1st to 15th. Questions 11 to 20 relate to Chennai and Tamil Nadu.)
1. Which popular activity-tracker company did Google recently purchase for $2.1 billion?
2. The deposed President of which American nation has been granted political asylum in Mexico?
3. In a rare celestial event, which heavenly body passed directly between Earth and the Sun for five and a half hours on November 11 with the next similar transit only in 2032?
4. Which South American country’s leader would be the Chief Guest at next year’s Republic Day celebrations?
5. Which businesswoman has become the first-ever Indian trustee of the 149-year-old Metropolitan Museum of Art, the largest U.S. art museum?
6. Which giant e-tailer recently launched ‘Project Zero’ in India and what is it?
7. The 550th birth anniversary of which religious leader was celebrated on November 12?
8. Name the two districts that make up the new UT of Ladakh.
9. Which famous European city, ironically, was hit with the highest tides in 50 years swamping it by at least four feet of water?
10. On Nov. 9, Germans marked the 30th anniversary of what momentous event?
* * *
11. ‘Arise’ launched by IIT-Madras recently is the first of its kind in the country. What is it?
12. Which Asian multilateral agency is to provide a $451 million (nearly Rs. 3,200 crore) loan to strengthen power connectivity between southern and northern parts of Chennai-Kanyakumari Industrial Corridor?
13. In which year was the Gemini Flyover constructed?
14. Which actor of yesteryear was so fond of Anna, that on the latter’s demise he started drinking heavily and reportedly slept at the former CM’s memorial?
15. On the plaque of whose statue in Chennai are these words inscribed: “…In memory of his rare medical skill and boundless humanity erected by a grateful public.”
16. Why was the second day of the Test between India and England at Chepauk in 1952, which happened to be India’s first home win, declared a rest day?
17. Which institution, set up in 1812, came up on a large parcel of land on Moorat’s Gardens?
18. What was established by Manni Tirumalachariar of Triplicane in 1896 to promote the performing arts?
19. What was the former ‘English’ name of Tamil Salai in Egmore?
20. C. Sankaran Nair was a co-owner of which iconic institution of Chennai between 1905 and 1922?Answers to Quiz
1. Fitbit, 2. Evo Morales, 3. Mercury, 4. Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro, 5. Nita Ambani, 6. It is Amazon’s initiative to ensure customers receive authentic goods when shopping on the site, 7. Guru Nanak, 8. Leh and Kargil, 9. Venice, 10. Fall of the Berlin wall.
* * *
11. Country’s first indigenously-designed standing wheelchair, 12. Asian Development Bank, 13. 1973, 14. S.S. Rajendran, 15. Dr. S. Rangachari outside the GH opposite Madras Central, 16. To mourn the death of King George VI the previous day, 17. College of Fort St. George in Nungambakkam (which gives its name to College Road), 18. The Sri Parthasarathi Swami Sabha, 19. Halls Road, 20. The Hindu.