Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXIX No. 23, March 16-31 2020
(Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s questions are from February 16th to 29th. Questions 11 to 20 relate to Chennai and Tamil Nadu.)
1. What was the theme of this year’s National Science Day observed on Feb. 28?
2. In which station in West Bengal did the Indian Railways recently launch their Restaurant on Wheels by refurbishing two old MEMU coaches?
3. What is 2020 CD3 discovered recently by astronomers?
4. What is unique about the parasite Henneguya salminicola’ discovered by researchers at Tel Aviv University, Israel?
5. The Union food processing ministry’s new Market Intelligence & Early Warning System (MIEWS) portal will monitor the prices of TOP crops. Expand TOP.
6. Name the 32-year-old tennis star, one of eight women to complete the career Grand Slam (winning all the four Majors), who hung up her racquet recently.
7. What statue did Narendra Modi present to Donald Trump during the latter’s visit in late February?
8. As per the World Bank’s report ‘Delivering Road Safety in India’, what is the extra estimated investment needed to reduce road crash fatalities by 50 per cent in the country?
9. Which club recently became the first in India to qualify for the group stage of the AFC (Asian Football Confederation) Champions League 2021?
10. American computer scientist Larry Tesler who passed away recently is the inventor of which commonly-used function/command of a computer?
* * *
11. Which date will be observed as ‘State Girl Child Protection Day’?
12. In which area can one walk down the quaintly named Old Firewood Bankshall Street?
13. Cricket trivia. Name the three sealed stands in the MA Chidambaram Stadium that are to be opened up.
14. The State Govt. is planning to bifurcate Nagapattinam to create which new district?
15. If K. Karunanidhi was ‘Kalaignar’, then the DMK veteran K. Anbazhagan, who passed away recently, was?
16. Built in 1967, the Broken Bridge in Adyar lasted for how many years as a complete bridge?
17. Name the fifth reservoir for supplying water to Chennai that is to be completed soon.
18. In which Tiruchi temple’s complex were 505 gold coins recently unearthed?
19. Which renowned Padma Shri-winning artist has authored works like Green Well Years, Multiple Facets of My Madurai and An Artist’s Perspective?
20. Which NGO that runs mid-day meals in schools across the country, has signed an MoU with the Chennai Corporation to run two centralised kitchens in the city?Answers to Quiz
1. Women in Science, 2. Asansol, 3. It is a car-sized second natural satellite or a ‘mini-moon’ that is temporarily orbiting Earth for the past three years, 4. It is being touted as the first-ever animal that can survive without oxygen, 5. Tomato, onion and potato, 6. Maria Sharapova, 7. A marble replica of Mahatma Gandhi’s “three wise monkeys” statue, 8. $109 billion, 9. FC Goa, 10. Cut-Copy-Paste.
* * *
11. February 24, the birthday of J. Jayalalithaa, 12. Triplicane, 13. I, J and K, 14. Mayiladuthurai, 15. ‘Perasariyar’, 16. 10 years, 17. Thervoy Kandigai reservoir, 18. Jambukeswarar Akilandeshwari Temple in Thiruvanaikaval, 19. Manohar Devadoss, 20. Akshaya Patra Foundation.