Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXIX No. 3, May 16-31, 2019
(Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s questions are from April 16th to 30th. Questions 11 to 20 relate to Chennai and Tamil Nadu.)
1. What was the name of Japan’s imperial era that came to an end on April 30?
2. The RBI recently announced the issue of Rs. 20 banknotes. Which UNESCO World Heritage Site will feature on it?
3. Which of these African countries has become the first in the world to launch a malaria vaccine: Kenya, Malawi or Uganda?
4. Sri Lanka recently launched its first satellite. After which character in the Ramayana is it named?
5. What scientific honour did Gagandeep Kang become the first to receive?
6. On April 18, the Supreme Court determined which illness as a ground to spare death row convicts the gallows?
7. Which online giant recently announced plans to shut down operations in China?
8. Name the quasi-crypto currency launched by the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund for better understanding of blockchain technology and functioning of crypto assets?
9. Which entity has become the first retail company in India to cross Rs.1 lakh crore in annual revenue?
10. Name Salman Rushdie’s upcoming novel that is inspired by the Miguel Cervantes classic Don Quixote.
11. In the recent LS elections, polling in which constituency was cancelled because of illegal money deals?
12. Name the athlete who won the women’s 800m gold in the 23rd Asian athletics championships in Doha.
13. Name the winner of the Sahitya Akademi award in 1997 for Saivu Narkali, who passed away recently.
14. Name the eponymous short film on a 9-year-old skateboarder girl that has qualified for the Oscars by winning the Best Documentary Award at the Atlanta Film Festival.
15. What is the significance of the ‘Poonjeri inscriptions’?
16. Who is heading the commission that is probing the death of J. Jayalalithaa.
17. Which place on the banks of the Mudikondan in Thanjavur is stated to be the burial site of Rajaraja Chola?
18. Which was the first item from the State to obtain the GI tag?
19. Which Chennai constituency registered a mere 56.41 per cent voter turnout, the lowest in the State, at the polling held on April 18?
20. The band for independent music, by musicians hailing from marginalised backgrounds, conceptualised by Madras Records and Neelam Cultural Centre is called…?Answers to Quiz
1. Heisei, 2. Ellora Caves, 3. Malawi, 4. Ravana, 5. First Indian woman to be elected a Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS), 6. Mental illness, 7. Amazon, 8. Learning Coin, 9. Reliance Retail, 10. ‘Quichotte’. 11. Vellore, 12. Gomathi Marimuthu, 13. Thoppil Mohamed Meeran, 14. ‘Kamali’, 15. It lists the names of some of the sculptors who built the world heritage site in Mahabalipuram, 16. Arumughaswamy, 17. Udayalur, 18. Salem yarn-dyed fabric, 19. Chennai South, 20. Casteless Collective.