Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXIX No. 4, June 1-15, 2019
(Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s questions are from April 16th to 30th. Questions 11 to 20 relate to Chennai and Tamil Nadu.)
1. Name the former India cricketer who has become the first woman to be appointed to the ICC International Panel of Match Referees.
2. NASA’s recently announced planned mission to put humans back on the lunar surface is named after which Greek deity?
3. Name the 259-year-old iconic British toy-maker bought recently by Reliance Industries for about Rs. 620 crores.
4. Which World Capital has Facebook chosen as the base for rolling out WhatsApp Pay globally?
5. Igor Stimac is the new coach of which Indian national sports team?
6. Which legendary American sportsperson was recently awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation’s highest civilian award.
7. What new World endurance record did adventurer Victor Vescovo set recently?
8. Researchers at US’s Berkeley Lab recently announced the creation of PDK (Poly Diketoenamine), a type of plastic. Why is it special?
9. Name the noted Indian industry leader and FMCG giant ITC’s longest-serving chairman who passed away recently.
10. Who was chosen the MVP of IPL Season 12 that concluded recently?
* * *
11. Name the three new Lok Sabha MPs from Chennai.
12. One more on the elections. Apart from Kanimozhi and Thamizhachi Thangapandian, who is the only other woman Lok Sabha MP from the State?
13. Name the ace swimmer from the State, a South Asian Games gold-medallist, who was recently killed in a road accident in Chennai.
14. The famous mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan’s last years were spent in residences called Crynant and Gometra. To which famous builder did these homes belong?
15. What can one find on what was once the Munagala House gardens, property of the Zamindar of Munagala?
16. What three-word term was used by the British to describe the area encompassing present day Nungambakkam, Teynampet and Royapettah?
17. Where in the city did the country’s first industrial estate come up in 1958?
18. Whose statue once stood on the pedestal that now has K. Kamaraj’s statue outside the Gymkhana Club?
19. Who was the first Indian president of the Corporation of Madras?
20. What sporting distinction did Willam Goodsir-Cullen, an Anglo-Indian studying at the Madras Medical College, achieve for the city in the late 1920s?Answers to Quiz
1. G.S. Lakshmi, 2. Artemis, 3. Hamleys, 4. London, 5. Football, 6. Tiger Woods, 7. Deepest dive in history. Vescovo took his submersible to 10,927 meters (35,853 feet) below the surface of the Pacific Ocean in the Challenger Deep part of the Mariana Trench, 8. It is a fully recyclable plastic which can be disassembled into its constituent parts at molecular level, 9. Y.C. Deveshwar, 10. Andre Russell.
* * *
11. Kalanidhi Veeraswamy, Thamizhachi Thangapandian and Dayanidhi Maran, 12. S. Jothimani, 13. M.B. Balakrishnan, 14. Namberumal Chetty, 15. Ashoka Hotel in Egmore, 16. Great Choultry Plain, 17. Guindy, 18. Freeman Freeman-Thomas, 1st Marquis of Willingdon, 19. Sir Pitty Theagaroya Chetty, the Justice Party leader, 20. The hockey player was the first from Madras to be picked for India for the 1928 Olympic Games.