Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXX No. 1, April16-30, 2020
(Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s questions are from March 16th to 31st. Questions 11 to 20 relate to Chennai and Tamil Nadu.)
1. On March 27, which nation became the 30th member of NATO?
2. How did Vinay Sharma, Akshay Thakur, Pawan Gupta, and Mukesh Singh make news on March 20 following an incident in December 2012?
3. The painting The Parsonage Garden at Nuenen was stolen on March 30. Which celebrated painter’s work is this?
4. Name the eminent painter, sculptor, and architect, the brother of an Indian PM, who passed away recently.
5. Name the former CJI nominated to the Rajya Sabha on March 16.
6. Which European country has topped, for the third straight time, the UN’s 8th World Happiness Report 2020 to measure the happiness of people of 156 countries?
7. Of which Indian State did Shivraj Singh Chouhan become the Chief Minister for the fourth time recently?
8. Name the legendary artist and co-creator of the world-famous Asterix series who passed away recently.
9. What is the value of the historic coronavirus stimulus package, the biggest relief bill in US history, signed by Donald Trump?
10. Which popular filmmaker and humourist’s recently released memoir is called Apropos of Nothing?
* * *
11. Which of the Alwars with a Madras connection is considered an Avatara of Vishnu’s sword Nandaka?
12. Which place of worship is listed with the address 1, Grand Southern Trunk (GST) Road?
13. George Frederick Samuel Robinson (1827-1909) is known to us by his peerage name. What?
14. The book The Last Corsair by Dan Van der Vat is about which famous ship connected with Madras in the 1910s?
15. Which legendary theatre artiste got his moniker after his role in the play Bhakta Ramdas?
16. Another question on theatre and cinema. Name the four TKS brothers.
17. Built in 1930, S.S. Irwin, later named Ramanujan, ferried between which two places till 1983?
18. There are two Zoroastrian Temples in Chennai. One is in Royapuram. Where in south Madras is the other?
19. The cover of the July 15, 1975 issue of Cho’s Thuglak magazine was all black. Why?
20. On which structure in Parry’s Corner would one see the date ‘1st January 1775’Answers to Quiz
1. North Macedonia, 2. They were hanged for the Delhi gang-rape case, 3. Vincent Van Gogh, 4. Satish Gujral, 5. Ranjan Gogoi, 6. Finland, 7. Madhya Pradesh, 8. Albert Uderzo, 9. $2.2 trillion, 10. Woody Allen.
* * *
11. Peyalwar, 12. St. Thomas Garrison Church, 13. 1st Marquess of Ripon, 14. Emden, 15. ‘Nawab’ T.S. Rajamanickam Pillai, 16. Sankaran, Muthuswamy, Shanmugam, and Bhagavathi, 17. Dhanushkodi and Thalaimannar, 18. Inside Theosophical Society, 19. Protest against the Emergency, 20. Boundary marker outside Dare House.