Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXX No. 18, January 16-31, 2021
Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s first 10 questions are on current affairs and next on medical conditions, ailments and cures.
1. What important decision was the Congress deliberating on January 6 when Trump’s supporters stormed the United States Capitol?
2. Which reigning seven-time World champion was honoured with a Knighthood recently?
3. Who is/are Time magazine’s Person(s) of the Year for 2020?
4. Which’s country’s men’s cricket team has topped the ICC Test rankings for the first time in its history?
5. The remains of a ‘Thermopolium’, a ‘fast food’ shop, which was destroyed in a catastrophe almost 2,000 years ago were on display for the first time. Where is it located?
6. Name the famous French designer, known for his avant-garde style and Space Age designs, who passed away recently aged 98.
7. Several Persian Gulf countries recently signed an agreement to end a three-year blockade of which nation in the region?
8. On Jan. 8, India began its eighth term as a non-permanent member of which important UN body?
9. Billionaire businessman Ron Burkle made news by buying a world-famous deceased entertainer’s home ‘Neverland Ranch’ for just $22 million four years after it was listed for $100 million. Who used to live there?
10. Which cricket-playing country recently altered its National Anthem with its second line reading ‘For we are one and free’ instead of the previous line ‘For we are young and free’.?
* * *
11. Dr. Jonas Salk is credited with developing a vaccine against ___?
12. What is the common name for the disease ‘varicella’?
13. Name the 19th Century-born British surgeon considered the father of antiseptic medicine and a pioneer in preventive medicine.
14. Which prominent part of the body does a ‘Rhinologist’ treat?
15. Which deadly virus is named after a river in the Democratic Republic of the Congo?
16. If a person has lockjaw, what condition is he or she suffering from?
17. Name the form of health care that strives to improve the quality of life of terminally-ill patients through prevention and relief of suffering.
18. Simple one. For developing which ‘wonder medicine’ is Dr. Alexander Fleming remembered?
19. What eight-letter term is used for an infectious disease that has jumped from a non-human animal to humans?
20. Which of these is not caused by a virus: dengue, chikungunya and malaria?Answers to Quiz
* * *
11. Polio, 12. Chicken Pox, 13. Joseph Lister, 14. Nose, 15. Ebola, 16. Tetanus, 17. Palliative care, 18. Penicillin, 19. Zoonosis, 20. Malaria