Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXX No. 20, February 16-28, 2021
Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s first 10 questions are on current affairs and next on the favourite childhood author Enid Blyton and her work.
1. Which term/word has been chosen by Oxford Languages, which publishes the Oxford English dictionary, as its Hindi Word of Year 2020?
2. Name the Oscar-winning actor famous for playing Captain von Trapp in The Sound of Music who passed away recently at age 91.
3. Which creation of online entrepreneurs Aprameya Radhakrishna and Mayank Bidwatka has been in the news?
4. Andy Jassy is to be the CEO of which online giant after its founder decided to step down?
5. The Chinese Lunar year that started on Feb. 12 is named after which animal?
6. Tom Brady made history by winning his seventh title, more than any team has achieved in this annual event of a popular American sport. What event?
7. ‘Brookesia nana’, a reptile measuring just 21.6 mm and discovered in Madagascar, is being touted as the world’s smallest reptile. What type of animal species is it?
8. On February 1, which Asian country’s military seized power from a five-year-old elected government?
9. Amateur investors hit Wall Street hedge funds by sending the stock value of which video game retailer soaring?
10. Which team’s 2009 feat did Bayern Munich emulate by winning the Club World Cup for its sixth major trophy in a year?
* * *
11. The prolific writer’s first book was published in 1922 when she was 25. What was it titled?
12. Enid’s pets, a Siamese cat and a fox-terrier, had a book based on them. What were their names?
13. Which popular series had recurring characters like the gypsy girl Jo, Tinker Hayling and Sooty Lenoir?
14. A relatively unknown short story book Secret of the Old Mill gave birth to a society that had its own, popular set of adventures. What was the name of the group?
15. Name the three children who come to reside near the Enchanted Wood in the The Faraway Tree adventures.
16. In which series does one follow the adventures of Jack, his parrot Kiki, Phillip, Dinah etc.?
17. The Dutch illustrator Harmsen Van der Beek first gave the look and feel of which character, arguably the most popular among Enid’s creations, in 1949?
18. Simple. What is the actual name of Fatty and what breed of dog is Buster?
19. From where did Enid Blyton get the name of Darrell Rivers, the main character in the Malory Towers series?
20. Name the school that Elizabeth Allen attends in ‘The Naughtiest Girl’ series of books.Answers to Quiz
1. Aatmanirbharta, 2. Christopher Plummer, 3. Koo, the Indian alternative to Twitter, 4. Amazon, 5. Ox, 6. Super Bowl, 7. Chameleon, 8. Myanmar, 9. GameStop, 10. Barcelona.
* * *
11. ‘Child Whispers’, 12. Bimbo and Topsy, 13. The Famous Five, 14. The Secret Seven, 15. Jo, Bessie and Fanny, 16. ‘The Adventure Series’, 17. Noddy, 18. Frederick Algernon Trotteville and Scottish Terrier, 19. Kenneth Darrell Waters, her second husband, 20. Whyteleafe.