Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXX No. 23, April 1-15, 2021
Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s first 10 questions are on current affairs and the next 10 are on the Oscars.
1. Which artiste recently became the most-decorated woman in Grammy Awards history with her 28th win?
2. Who recently became the first Indian woman cricketer, and the second in the world, to notch up 10,000 international runs?
3. Which famous businesswoman with Chennai roots, a former head of a global food giant, is publishing her memoir My Life in Full: Work, Family and Our Future?
4. Bhavani Devi has become the first Indian woman from her sport to make it to the Olympics. Which discipline does she represent?
5. The country’s first centralised air-conditioned railway terminal is to come up in which south Indian city.
6. Who has shared the National Award for Best Actor with Dhanush (Asuran)?
7. Name the book and author that have been chosen for the Sahitya Akademi Puraskar for 2020?
8. French businessman Andre Abdoune recently paid $62 million for the painting The Journey of Humanity by British artist Sacha Jafri. What is the claim to fame of the artwork?
9. In the recent UN World Happiness Report 2021, India was ranked 139 out of 149 countries. Which Nordic nation topped the list, for the fourth consecutive year, ahead of Iceland and Denmark?
10. Twitter founder Jack Dorsey’s first ever tweet was sold recently for the equivalent of $2.9m as an NFT. What is NFT and what was the tweet?
* * *
11. Though popularly called the Oscars, what is the official name of the award?
12. What rare distinction is shared by It Happened One Night (1934), One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1975) and The Silence of the Lambs (1991)?
13. Who was the first Indian to receive an Oscar and for which film?
14. Winning once is a big achievement but which global legend is the record-holder for most awards won with 22 Oscars?
15. Though Charlie Chaplin’s Limelight was released in 1952, it got an Oscar 20 years later for ‘Best Original Dramatic Score’. Why?
16. In 2003, which flick won all the 11 categories for which it was nominated?
17. India has sent entries since the 1950s to compete for Best International Feature Film honours. However, only three films have been nominated. The first was Mother India. Name the other two.
18. Name the two people who have not only won Oscars but also Nobel prizes?
19. Katharine Hepburn has the most Best Actress awards with four statuettes. Which artiste won an Oscar for playing Katharine Hepburn?
20. The 2021 Oscars nominees were announced recently. Which Indian was a co-announcer and which movie got the most nods?Answers to Quiz
1. Beyonce, 2. Mithali Raj, 3. Indra Nooyi, 4. Fencing, 5. Bengaluru, 6. Manoj Bajpayee (Bhonsle), 7. ‘Sellaatha Panam’ by Imaiyam, 8. It is the world’s biggest painting covering nearly 17,000 sq ft, 9. Finland, 10. Nonfungible token and the tweet ‘just setting up my twttr’ was first published on March 21, 2006.
* * *
11. ‘Academy Award of Merit’, 12. The only films to have received the ‘Big Five’ awards (Best Picture, Director, Actor, Actress, and Screenplay), 13. Bhanu Athaiya for Gandhi, 14. Walt Disney, 15. It was not released in Los Angeles County until 1972 and hence was not eligible for any Academy Awards until that time, 16. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, 17. Salaam Bombay! and Lagaan, 18. George Bernard Shaw and Bob Dylan, 19. Cate Blanchett (Best Supporting Actress) in The Aviator, 20. Priyanka Chopra and Mank (10 nominations).