Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXX No. 9, September 1-15, 2020
Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s first 10 questions are on current affairs and next 10 on Presidents and Prime Ministers of India.
1. What meteorological mark did Death Valley’s Furnace Creek in Southern California set recently?
2. Which tech giant recently became the first US-listed company, the second in the world, to reach a $2 trillion market capitalisation?
3. Joe Biden’s running mate for VP, Kamala Harris, has mixed parentage. What were the countries of origin of her parents?
4. Which country made news as the first in the world to approve a possible vaccine for the coronavirus?
5. According to Forbes, who was the world’s highest-paid male actor, between June 2019-20, with earnings of $87.5m?
6. According to annual Swachh Survekshan 2020, which is the cleanest mega city (over 40 lakh population)?
7. Name the three AAI airports that are to be leased, for 50 years, under private public partnership to Adani Enterprises?
8. Which company has bagged the IPL title-sponsorship rights for 2020?
9. What is the title of Shashi Tharoor’s new book in which he shares 53 unusual words from every letter of the alphabet?
10. Name the former Indian cricket opener and a BJP politician who passed away recently?
* * *
11. Who apart from Babu Rajendra Prasad has had two or more terms as elected President?
12. Who was the acting PM after the demise of Jawaharlal Nehru?
13. Who was the first to be an acting President and President of India?
14. Who was the first non-Congress PM?
15. Originally called the Viceroy’s House, what name was given to the Rashtrapati Bhavan on August 15, 1947?
16. Between 1989 and 1991, India saw three PMs. If one was Rajiv Gandhi, who were the other two?
17. What is the monthly salary of the President?
18. Excluding the acting PMs, who had the shortest tenure of Premiership at just 170 days?
19. Pratibha Patil, the only woman President, had served as the Governor of which State?
20. What is the official name of the PM’s residence complex?Answers to Quiz
1. The temperature there reached 54 degrees Celsius, making it (arguably) the hottest reliably measured temperature on Earth in recorded history, 2. Apple, 3. Indian (mother) and Jamaican (father), 4. Russia, 5. Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson, 6. Ahmedabad, 7. Jaipur, Guwahati and Thiruvananthapuram, 8. Dream11, 9. ‘Tharoorosaurus’, 10. Chetan Chauhan.
* * *
11. No one!, 12. Gulzarilal Nanda, 13. V.V. Giri, 14. Morarji Desai, 15. Government House, 16. V.P. Singh and P.V. Narasimha Rao, 17. Rs 5 lakh which is non-taxable, 18. Charan Singh, 19. Rajasthan, 20. Panchavati.