Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXV No. 20, February 1-15, 2016
(Current Affairs questions are from the period January 1st to 15th. Questions 11 to 20 pertain to Chennai and Tamil Nadu.)
1. What is special about SBI’s branch ‘SBI InCube’ in Bengaluru?
2. Who won a record fifth FIFA Ballon d’Or recently?
3. Which South Indian State has become the first in the country to introduce compulsory gender education at the graduate level?
4. Name the two-time Chief Minister of J & K and a former Union Home Minister who passed away on January 7th.
5. What monumental 116-year-old cricketing record did 15-year-old Pranav Dhanawade of Mumbai smash recently?
6. For what domestic safety was a national-level helpline, 1906, inaugurated on January 1st?
7. Which 1983 World Cup winner was awarded the prestigious Col. C.K. Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award in early January?
8. Effective January 1st, the declaration of PAN is mandatory for all transactions, regardless of the mode of payment, in excess of which amount?
9. Which country did the Indian football team beat to clinch the SAFF Cup for the seventh time?
10. Name the Air Force Station in Punjab that witnessed a major terrorist attack resulting in the death of many Services personnel.
11. What freak natural calamity happened on the beach between Kallamozhi and Manapad in Thoothukudi District on January 12?
12. What century-old institution is located at 383, Konnur High Road in Perambur?
13. Which street in Fort St. George was also dubbed ‘Snob’s Alley’?
14. Which great king was said to have visited the Kalikambal Temple on Thambu Chetty Street on October 16, 1677?
15. Who wrote the Arutpa Orumaiyudan ninadu malar adi, a favourite among Carnatic musicians?
16. Which vidwan was given the title ‘Akhila Ulaga Nagaswara Eka Chakradhipati’?
17. Name the German missionary for whom a beautiful marble monument was erected in St. Mary’s Church inside Fort St. George with a 43-line epitaph.
18. Name the two Tamil Nadu cities chosen as part of the National-level ‘Hriday’ (Heritage City Development and Augmentation Yojana) initiative.
19. In which year was the Madras Army established by the Company?
20. Why is November 4, 1934 an historic day in the annals of sport in the metropolis?
1. It is the first dedicated specialised branch for start-ups; 2. Lionel Messi; 3. Telangana; 4. Mufti
Mohammed Sayeed; 5. He scored an unbeaten 1009 runs in 329 balls; 6. It’s a emergency response number for LPG consumers to seek help in case of a gas leakage; 7. S.M.H. Kirmani; 8. Rs. 2 lakh; 9. Afghanistan; 10. Pathankot.
11. 45, short-finned pilot whales were washed ashore and died beaching; 12. The Madras Pinjrapole; 13. St. Thomas Street; 14. Chatrapathi Shivaji; 15. Ramalinga Swamigal; 16. T.N. Rajarathinam Pillai; 17. Rev. Fr. Christian
Fredrick Schwartz; 18. Kanchipuram and Velankanni; 19. 1757; 20. It was on this day, Madras beat Mysore in a day in the first-ever Ranji Trophy match.