Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXVIII No. 4, June 1-15, 2018
(Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s questions are from May 1 to 15. Questions 11 to 20 relate to Chennai and Tamil Nadu.)
1. Which world-leading Chinese banker has launched China’s first India-dedicated publicly offered investment fund called ‘Industrial and Commercial Bank Credit Suisse India Market Fund’?
2. Which state-run lender recently became the first to face curbs on lending under RBI’s Prompt Corrective Action (PCA) framework?
3. Bangladesh’s first communication satellite was recently launched by a SpaceX Falcon rocket. What is it called?
4. The world’s second oldest rock, estimated to be 4240 million years old, was discovered at Champua in Kendujhar district. In which State is it located?
5. The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has approved which colour licence plates with numbers in white fonts for private evehicles?
6. According to a recent released report of Stockholm International Peace Research Institute, India was the fifth largest (in the world) and third largest in Asia as far as military spending in 2017 was concerned. Which Asian country comes second behind China?
7. Which social media site recently made a global appeal to all of its users to change their passwords after a glitch temporarily caused some passwords to be stored in readable text on its internal computer system?
8. Which Nobel Prize won’t be given this year because a Swedish Academy member resigned leaving the body with no quorum?
9. In a show of better relations, which Asian country changed its time zone to match its neighbour?
10. How much did Walmart pay to acquire a 77% stake in Flipkart?
* * *
11. Who mooted the idea of MS singing an English song, on her historic tour of Europe and USA in 1965, when she performed at the UN?
12. Where in Chennai was the first ice factory supposedly located?
13. Who designed the imposing SBI building on Rajaji Salai?
14. Monica Felton’s ‘A Child Widow’s Story’ is about which legendary social activist of Madras?
15. Which school, established
in Triplicane in 1927, moved to Mylapore and, finally, to Mambalam?
16. Name the street in Chintadripet noted for shops specialising in the making of tinsel, sandal and lace garlands?
17. The first Western theatre in Madras, which disappeared in the 1780s, was located on the Island grounds. What was its matter-of-fact name?
18. Name the Civil Servant and Orientalist, the first to put forth a Dravidian origin theory for Tamil, after whom a street of Mount Road is named?
19. Which celebrated flower’s ‘birthplace’ is a small village called Thangachimadam on Rameswaram island?
20. Which Vaishnavaite guru and scholar was born at Thoopul in Kanchipuram district in 1268?Answers to Quiz
1. Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (ICBC); 2. Dena Bank; 3. Bangabandhu 1; 4. Odisha; 5. Green; 6. Saudi Arabia!; 7. Twitter; 8. Nobel Prize for Literature; 9. North Korea matched it with South; 10. $16 billion.
* * *
11. Gen. Cariappa; 12. Doveton House in present day Women’s Christian College; 13. Henry Irwin; 14. Sister R.S. Subbalakshmi; 15. Sarada Vidyalaya; 16. Iyyah Mudali Street; 17. Playhouse; 18. F.W. Ellis; 19. Madurai Malli; 20. Sri Vedanta Desikar.