Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXVIII No. 6, July 1-15, 2018
(Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s questions are from June 1 to 15. Questions 11 to 20 relate to Chennai and Tamil Nadu.)
1. Where did the much-hyped meeting between Donald Trump and Kim Jong-un take place in early June?
2. The world’s most powerful and smartest scientific super-computer, with a peak performance of 200 petaflops, was unveiled recently. Name this IBM computer.
3. Who is the only Indian to appear in Forbes’ annual list of the world’s 100 highest-paid athletes?
4. Who recently became the first Indian cricketer to score 2000 runs in Twenty20 Internationals?
5. Name India’s first indigenous, long-range artillery gun that recently cleared its final test and is to be inducted into the army soon.
6. On June 8th, which world leader was presented with the first Friendship Medal, considered the highest state honour of China?
7. A team of researchers from the Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmadabad, recently discovered a planet six times bigger than Earth revolving around a Sun-like star about 600 light years away. What name has been given to both the planet and star?
8. Where is India’s first ever National Police Museum to come up?
9. Two species of which animal, which have been named Kalinga and Krishnan, were discovered in the Eastern Ghats and Western Ghats recently?
10. The 125th commemoration of which historic incident in Mahatma Gandhi’s life was observed on June 7, 2018?
* * *
11. Which famous film mogul began his career selling magazines at the Tiruchi railway station?
12. Name the HR firm started by Minister and MLA K. Pandiarajan?
13. Which famous lyricist made his debut with the song Kalangathiru Maname?
14. Which educational institution was founded by Chinnaswamy Rajam?
15. Name the Chennai-born, Harvard graduate named the new CFO of General Motors.
16. In which Chennai educational institution’s campus is Dare Bungalow?
17. Name the hospital started by Dr. Ida Scudder at Vellore in 1902.
18. Who, apart from Kasturiranga Iyengar, bought The Hindu from M. Veeraraghavachariar (one of the founders), for Rs. 75000 in 1905?
19. Which Thoothukudi-born composer, whose centenary was celebrated recently, was instrumental in writing and augmenting the Western musical notes for the National Anthem?
20. The K. Balachander flick Oru Veedu Iru Vasal starred which musical siblings?Answers to Quiz
1. Singapore; 2. Summit; 3. Virat Kohli; 4. Mithali Raj; 5. Dhanush; 6. Vladimir Putin; 7. EPIC; 8. New Delhi; 9. Frog; 10. Being thrown off a train compartment reserved for whites only at Pietermartizburg.
* * *
11. S.S. Vasan; 12. Ma Foi Management Consultants Ltd; 13. Kannadasan; 14. MIT; 15. Dhivya Suryadevara; 16. Pachaiyappa’s College; 17. Mary Taber Schell Memorial Hospital; 18. Sir C. Sankaran Nair; 19. Handel Manuel; 20. Violin virtuosos Ganesh and Kumaresh.