Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXIX No. 17, December 16-31, 2019
(Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s questions are from November 16th to 30th. Questions 11 to 20 relate to Chennai and Tamil Nadu.)
1. Why was Akkitham Achuthan Namboodri, a renowned Malayalam poet, in the news recently?
2. Which entity on November 28, 2019, became the first Indian company to cross Rs. 10 lakh crore market capitalisation?
3. Which organisation’s newly adopted motto is ‘Ma Gridhah Kasyasvidhanam’ (Do not be greedy for anyone’s wealth)?
4. Which phrase/word has been declared as the “Word of the year for 2019” by Oxford Dictionaries?
5. Which Indian has topped Fortune magazine’s Business person of the Year 2019 list?
6. Which legendary British environmentalist has been conferred with the Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development 2019, for his tireless work to preserve and protect biodiversity?
7. As per the India Corruption Survey 2019, which State fared the worst with 78% respondents admitting to paying bribes?
8. The 30th anniversary of the Velvet Revolution was observed in a European country on Nov. 17. What was the Velvet Revolution?
9. Name the scheme launched by Tim Berners-Lee, creator of the World Wide Web, to address issues of political manipulation, fake news, privacy violations, and other malign forces on the internet.
10. Which French company is buying famed jeweller Tiffany in a $16.2 billion deal, the largest ever in the luxury sector?
* * *
11. Which actor was given the Icon of Golden Jubilee award at the 50th International Film Festival of India?
12. Where in the State is ISRO planning to set up its second rocket launching centre?
13. About whom did Somerset Maugham eulogise thus: “He had the geniality of the politician who for years has gone out of his way to be cordial with everyone he meets. He talked very good English, fluently, with a copious choice of words…”
14. Name the two women, residents of Chennai, who have been honoured with the Ramon Magsaysay Award for Public Service.
15. Why is September 10, 1746 an important day in the history of British Madras?
16. The locality with the pin code 600013 is named after an apostle of Christ. Who?
17. How did a Chennai techie Shanmuga Subramanian make news recently?
18.Give the full names of the two characters played by Rajinikanth in the evergreen comedy Thillu Mullu.
19. What edifices would one find now at Shenstone Park, Chennai 31?
20. Though Viceroy Lord Mayo is not remembered much in Madras, his brother has some places named after him. Name him.Answers to Quiz
1. He has been awarded Jnanpith Award, the nation’s highest literary award, 2. Reliance Industries Ltd., 3. The apex anti-corruption ombudsman Lokpal, 4. Climate Emergency, 5. Satya Nadella, CEO of Microsoft, 6. Sir David Attenborough, 7. Rajasthan, 8. A non-violent transition of power in what was then Czechoslovakia, 9. Contract for the Web, 10. LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton SE.
* * *
11. Rajinikanth, 12. Kulasekarapattinam in Thoothukudi district, 13. Sir C.P. Ramaswami Iyer, 14. M.S. Subbulakshmi and Dr. V. Shanta, 15. The city went into French hands before coming back to the English in August 1749, 16. Royapuram/Rayapuram, after St. Peters’ local name Rayappa, 17. He helped NASA find the crashed Vikram Lander, 18. Aiyampettai Arivudai Nambi Kaliyaperumal Indran and Chandran, 19. Sir Mutha Venkatasubba Rao Concert Hall and Madras Seva Sadan, 20. Robert Bourke, 1st Baron Connemara.