Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXXI No. 15, November 16-30, 2021
1. Ado Campeol, a restaurateur from Treviso, Italy, who passed away recently aged 93 is credited with concocting the present version of which popular dessert/sweet?
2. Which three-lettered word, used widely in the past year because of the pandemic-affected times, has been chosen as word of the year by the Oxford English Dictionary?
3. Netflix has launched five video mobile games. Three are Shooting Hoops, Card Blast and Teeter Up. Name the other two based on one of its shows.
4. At the recent United Nations summit on climate change (COP 26) in Glasgow, 105 countries, excluding India, signed a pledge to reduce which gas by 30 per cent by the end of the decade?
5. Name the new parent company, announced by Mark Zuckerberg on Oct. 28, of Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp and Oculus VR.
6. Which iconic European pop group reunited recently after nearly four decades to release a new album Voyage?
7. Another music question. Oscar-winning director Peter Jackson’s seven-hour epic documentary ‘Get Back’ is to air in Disney Plus at the end of November. Who is the subject?
8. Which Asian country’s princess recently lost her royal status when she married a commoner?
9. Karnataka has decided to rename the Mumbai-Karnataka region, comprising seven districts, after a place known for its brave queen Chennamma. What is the proposed name?
10. Which country is to provide the ‘India Green Guarantee’ to the World Bank, to unlock an additional 750 million GBP for green projects across India?
* * *
11. If the adjective for dogs is canine, what is it for cats?
12. Cats are genetically predisposed to not be able to taste what type of eatable?
13. The Cheetah, the fastest land mammal, is the only member of the genus ‘Acinonyx’ because of the lack of two ‘cat-like’ traits. What?
14. What is the most distinguishing characteristic of the Manx breed of cats?
15. According to the WWF, which is the world’s rarest big cat?
16. What is the collective noun for kittens and adult cats?
17. Of the three primary ways cats mark their scent, one is by spraying urine. What are the other two?
18. Cats have special sensory organs called proprioceptors at the ends of their whiskers. What is their primary function?
19. In which ancient civilisation were cats given divine status and death was a punishment if someone killed a cat?
20. Apart from a pronounced meowing, cats also caterwaul. What is it?Answers to Quiz
1. Tiramisu, 2. Vax, 3. Stranger Things: 1984 and Stranger Things 3: The Game, 4. Methane, 5. Meta, 6. ABBA, 7. The Beatles, 8. Japan’s Princess Mako, 9. Kittur Karnataka, 10. United Kingdom.
* * *
11. Feline, 12. Sweets, 13. Inability to roar and retract its claws, 14. Lack of a proper tail, 15. Amur Leopard, 16. Kindle and Clowder, 17. Cheek-rubbing via scent glands on the face and by clawing/scratching through scent glands on the paws, 18. They send messages to the brain to keep the cat aware of what every part of his body is doing and it is one reason why a feline always land on its feet!, 19. Egyptian, 20. Make a shrill howling or wailing noise.