Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXXI No. 17, December 16-31, 2021
Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s first 10 questions are on current affairs and the next 10 are on Asterix and his friends.
1. According to the Economist Intelligence Unit survey, which Asian city has been named the most expensive in the world to live in, beating out places like Paris and Singapore?
2. Name the Indian who has succeeded Jack Dorsey as the CEO of Twitter.
3. On November 30, which country became the world’s newest republic after officially removing Queen Elizabeth II as the head of state?
4. Simple. Name the 15th letter of the Greek alphabet that is grabbing headlines nowadays.
5. After 16 years, which European country got a new leader in Olaf Scholtz?
6. Which very popular group recently got its first-ever Grammy nomination after 48-years, for the single I Still Have Faith In You from their comeback album?
7. Recently, Chandigarh’s Harnaaz Sandhu become the third Indian to achieve what distinction?
8. Who was Google’s most searched-for personality in India in 2021?
9. To which regiment did Gen. Bipin Rawat, who was killed in a chopper crash, belong?
10. Who was the Indian batsman who was not a victim when New Zealand’s Ajaz Patel took all 10 wickets in an innings recently?
* * *
11. In which publication did Asterix debut in 1959?
12. As of December 2021, how many volumes of official Asterix adventures have been released?
13. What are the names of Getafix and Dogamatix in the original French versions?
14. Going by the official English versions of the adventures, all the titles start as ‘Asterix…’ except two. Name them.
15. Which adventure is set in India?
16. Name the better halves of the chief Vitalstatistix and the fishmonger Unhygenix.
17. In what way are the albums Asterix and the Class Act and Asterix and Obelix’s Birthday: The Golden Book different as regards the format?
18. Name the four Roman camps that surround the village.
19. Obelix is never given the Magic Potion because falling into a cauldron as a kid had a permanent effect on him. However, in which adventure does Getafix give him a few drops?
20. Name the writer and artist who are now continuing the legacy of Goscinny and Uderzo.Answers to Quiz
1. Tel Aviv, 2. Parag Agarwal, 3. Barbados, 4. Omicron, 5. Germany, 6. ABBA, 7. Be crowned Miss Universe, 8. Neeraj Chopra, 9. 11 Gorkha Rifles, 10. Umesh Yadav.
* * *
11. In the Franco-Belgian comic Pilote, 12. 39, 13. Panoramix and Idefix, 14. The Mansion of the Gods and Obelix & Co., 15. Asterix and the Magic Carpet, 16. Impedimenta and Bacteria, 17. They are a collection of short stories, 18. Compendium, Laudanum, Totorum and Aquarium, 19. Asterix and Cleopatra, 20. Jean-Yves Ferri and Didier Conrad.