Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXIX No. 5, June 16-30, 2019
(Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s questions are from May 16th to 31st. Questions 11 to 20 relate to Chennai and Tamil Nadu.)
1. What record has Biju Janta Dal’s Chandrani Murmu set as far this Lok Sabha elections go?
2. The World Health Organisation (WHO) has for the first time recognised which syndrome, associated with workplace stress, as a medical condition?
3. Name the Nobel-winning physicist, credited with discovering and classifying subatomic particles and giving quarks their name, who passed away recently.
4. Which place in MP was recently included in the tentative list of United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation’s (UNESCO’s) World Heritage Sites?
5. Which Indian airline recently became the fourth operator to have a fleet of 100 aircraft?
6. Name the Indian Space Research Organisation’s new private entity set up to aid transfer to technology, that was officially inaugurated in Bengaluru on May 25.
7. Name the Austrian Formula One legend who won three titles and was subject of the film ‘Rush’, who passed away recently?
8. On World Metrology Day on May 20, India adopted a global resolution to redefine which four base units?
9. Name the outdoor version and three-member format of badminton that was launched by the Badminton World Federation recently.
10. Name the world-famous architect, creator of the pyramids in the Louvre and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, who passed away on May 16.
* * *
11. Name the famous actor-playwright, known for his quick wit and clever wordplay, who passed away on June 10.
12. Which Tamil literary magnum opus has characters like Arulmozhi, Kundhavai, Nandhini, Poonkuzhali?
13. Name the current Commissioner of Chennai Police.
14. Who is going to be DMK’s leader in the present Lok Sabha?
15. Arguing over the recitation of which composition did Thenkalai and Vadakalai Iyengars come to blows in Kancheepuram on May 26?
16. What were the terminal points of North Beach that ran parallel to First Line Beach?
17. The Singaravelar Maligai, the office of the Collector of Chennai, is built on the site which edifice?
18. Odakkal Street in North Madras was infamously famous for which activity?
19. Which famous playback singer of yesteryear was the brother-in-law of Kalaignar Karunanidhi?
20. The MGR-starrer Kalankarai Vilakkam was based on which Hitchcock classic?Answers to Quiz
1. Youngest elected candidate in the history of Lok Sabha at 25 years, 11 months and 8 days, 2. Burnout,3. Murray Gell-Mann, 4. The town of Orchha, 5.Spice Jet, 6. NewSpace India Limited, 7. Niki Lauda, 8. kilogramme, kelvin, mole and ampere, 9. AirBadminton and Triples, 10. I.M. Pei.
* * *
‘Crazy’ Mohan, 12. Ponniyin Selvan, 13. A.K. Viswanathan, 14. T.R. Baalu, 15. Naalayira Divya Prabandham, 16. Fort to Royapuram, 17. Bentinck’s Building, 18. It was the city’s well-known red light area, 19. C.S. Jayaraman, 20. ‘Vertigo’