Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXIX No. 6, July 1-16, 2019
(Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s questions are from June 1st to 15th. Questions 11 to 20 relate to Chennai and Tamil Nadu.)
1. Which is the highest-ranked Indian company (71st) in the list of “world’s 2,000 largest public companies” compiled by Forbes?
2. On June 12, who was felicitated with the 54th Jnanpith Award for his “outstanding contribution to the enrichment of Indian Literature in English”?
3. On June 10, the ASI declared which edifice in the Sarnath complex as a “monument of national importance”?
4. Which popular bank was recently penalised by the RBI with Rs. 2 crore for not furnishing details about the shareholding of its promoter and its plans for complying with stake dilution norms?
5. India’s first dinosaur museum was recently inaugurated at the third largest fossil site and also the second largest dinosaur hatchery in the world. Where?
6. Name the eminent Kannada actor and playwright, a Padma Bhushan and Jnanpith awardee, who passed away in Bengaluru recently.
7. Name the former Chief Election Commissioner appointed as electoral officer to supervise the Board of Control for Cricket in India’s election.
8. On June 5, whose record did Sunil Chhetri surpass to become the most capped India player with 108 internationals?
9. What was the simple theme of the World Environment Day 2019?
10. Which three oil majors have signed an agreement to form a JV for laying the world’s longest LPG pipeline from Kandla, Gujarat to Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh?
* * *
11. Which Oscar-winning star and a UN Messenger of Peace’s Instagram post on Chennai’s water plight made global news?
12. Name the popular playwright and actor known for his humour-laden dialogues who passed away aged 66 on June 10?
13. Which director has been a subject of ire recently for his comments that Raja Raja Chozhan’s rule was a dark period, and that caste oppression had started during his reign?
14. Photographs shot by an Australian Ian Manning in the 1960s and 1970s are now adorning which iconic structure in Chennai?
15. Gemini’s Sivaji-starrer Irumbu Thurai was the remake of which Dilip Kumar-Rajkumar flick?
16. Which iconic edifice has the address 1, GST Road, Chennai – 600016?
17. Name the musician-director who introduced K.J. Yesudas to Tamil films and in which movie?
18. Which famous cultural activist synonymous with a movement, and a key figure in the initial days of the Congress, was called ‘a born actress’ by George Bernard Shaw and a ‘fox with a golden tail’ by Subramania Bharati?
19. Amaladityan by Pammal Sambandha Mudaliar is a transaltion of which celebrated Shakespearean play?
20. Who bought S. Satyamurti’s home ‘Sundara’ because the former could not reconcile to the fact that the latter had ignored his career for the sake of national interests?Answers to Quiz
1. Reliance Industries, 2. Amitava Ghosh, 3. Chaukhandi Stupa, 4. Kotak Mahindra Bank, 5. Raiyoli near Balasinor in Mahisagar district of Gujarat, 6. Girish Karnad, 7. N. Gopalaswami, 8. Bhaichung Bhutia, 9. ‘Beat Air Pollution’, 10. IOCL, BPCL and HPCL.
* * *
11. Leonardo de Caprio, 12. ‘Crazy’ Mohan, 13. Pa. Ranjith, 14. Chennai Central, 15. ‘Paigham’, 16. The St Thomas Garrison Church, 17. Veena maestro S. Balachandar in ‘Bommai’, 18. Annie Besant, 19. Hamlet, 20. K.B. Sundarambal.