Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXIX No. 9, August 16-31, 2019
(Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s questions are from July 16th to 31st. Questions 11 to 20 relate to Chennai and Tamil Nadu.)
1. As per the recently passed Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill 2019, for how many years can a Muslim individual practicing instant triple talaq (talaq-e-biddat) be jailed?
2. Who recently became the first cricketer in history to smash 1000 runs and take 100 wickets in Twenty20 Internationals?
3. On July 28, Egan Bernal became the first from the southern hemisphere to win which coveted annual sporting event?
4. In recognition of this Bharat Ratna’s contribution to “the culture of peace and freedom”, the United Nations passed a resolution declaring July 18 as what day?
5. Which year has the PM set as a target to eradicate Tuberculosis (TB) in India against the global deadline of 2030?
6. Name the lunar orbiter and rover that was launched as part of Chandrayaan-2 on July 22.
7. Which southern Indian State became the first in India to reserve 75% private jobs for locals?
8. Name the recently-elected equivalent of Narenda Modi in the UK?
9. What unfortunate dubious first has the Scaly-Foot snail achieved?
10. Name the 1,000-year-old Shiva Temple in Sialkot city of Pakistan, which sealed for last 72 years, was recently re-opened for devotees.
* * *
11. Who has been chosen for the coveted ‘Sangita Kalanidhi’ Award this year?
12. Name the yesteryear actor & cousin of the renowned educationist Mrs. Y.G. Parthasarathy.
13. The famous lamps from which town have been given a GI tag?
14. Who is the only TN Governor to have served two terms in office?
15. Name the CMs from the State to have won the Bharat Ratna.
16. For which herbivore was the Vallanadu sanctuary in Tuticorin created?
17. Who wrote the Tamil lyrics to the famous Kalyana Samayal Saadham?
18. Whose statue originally stood on the pedestal where K. Kamaraj’s statue now stands outside the Gymkhana Club?
19. Which region in Nilgiris recorded the wettest 24 hours ever to be seen in the State, breaking a 76-year record?
20. Which bustling area in Chennai started as the West Madras Neighbourhood Scheme?Answers to Quiz
1. Three years, 2. Australia’s Ellyse Perry, 3. Tour de France, 4. Nelson Mandela International Day, 5. 2025, 6. Pragyan and Vikram, 7. Andhra Pradesh, 8. Boris Johnson, 9. It is the first-ever species endangered due to deep-sea mining, 10. Shawala Teja Singh Temple.
* * *
11. Vocalist S.Sowmya, 12. K. Balajee, 13. Nachiarkoil, 14. S.S. Barnala, 15. C. Rajagopalachari (1954), K. Kamaraj (1976) and M. G. Ramachandran (1988), 16. Blackbuck, 17. Thanjai Ramiah Das, 18. Freeman Freeman-Thomas, 1st Marquis of Willingdon, 19. Avalanche, 20. Anna Nagar.