Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXXI No. 6, July 1-15, 2021
1. In one of the toughest rulings for a law-enforcement officer in the US, for what action was former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin sentenced to 22.5 years in prison?
2. Which legendary Indian cricketer was inducted into the ICC Hall of Fame recently?
3. Which famous Rembrandt painting in Amsterdam was returned to its original size, by using AI, after 300 years?
4. The value of which beverage brand lost about $4 billion after Cristiano Ronaldo pushed it aside for water?
5. A new, all-plastic £50 entered circulation in the UK recently. Which famous scientist’s image does it feature?
6. US President Joe Biden recently signed legislation making June 19th – officially called Juneteenth National Independence Day – a federal holiday. What does it commemorate?
7. Naftali Bennett is the new PM of which Asian country, replacing the previous premier after 12 years?
8. A fifth ocean has been recognised by the National Geography Society that has been making maps since 1915. What is it called?
9. Because of the detrimental impact of climate change, UNESCO’s World Heritage Committee has proposed to downgrade the status of which natural formation and recommend it’s addition to the list of World Heritage sites in danger?
10. On June 25, President Ram Nath Kovind did something between Delhi and Dehradun last done by A.P.J. Abdul Kalam in 2006. What?
* * *
11. The first-ever medallist from India claimed two silver medals at Paris in 1900. Name the athlete.
12. India has been most successful in men’s hockey with eight gold medals, with six coming in a row between which two editions?
13. The first individual medallist in independent India was K.D. Jadhav. In which sport and year?
14. Five women from India have won Olympic medals, the latest being P.V. Sindhu and Sakshi Malik in 2016. Name the others.
15. Name the Chennai-resident who skippered India to its last hockey gold (1980).
16. Who has the distinction of winning two individual medals at the Summer Games?
17. The father won a bronze in 1972 and the son in 1996, albeit in different disciplines. Name them and the sports.
18. We all know that marksman Abhinav Bindra is India’s lone individual gold medallist. In which event?
19. Apart from Balbir Singh Sr., who did it twice, what ‘honour’ connects Anju Bobby George, Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore, Shiny Abraham-Wilson among others?
20. India has won 28 medals, including nine gold, at the Summer Games since the 1900 edition. How many silver and bronze complete the tally?Answers to Quiz
1. For the murder of George Floyd, 2. Vinoo Mankad, 3. ‘The Night Watch’, 4. Coca-Cola, 5. Alan Turing, 6. It was on that date in 1865 when slaves in Texas were told of their emancipation, 7. Israel, 8. Southern, the body of water extending from the coast of Antarctica to the line of latitude at 60 degrees South, 9. Great Barrier Reef, 10. Travel by train.
* * *
11. Norman Pritchard, 12. 1928 (Amsterdam) to 1956 (Melbourne), 13. Wrestling and 1952, 14. Karnam Malleswari, Mary Kom and Saina Nehwal, 15. V. Baskaran, 16. Wrestler Sushil Kumar, 17. Dr. Vece Paes (hockey) and Leander Paes (tennis), 18. Men’s 10-metre air rifle, 19. They have all been flag-bearers at the Summer Games, 20. Seven silver and 12 bronze medals.