Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXXI No.7, July 16-31, 2021
1. What was the christened name of thespian Dilip Kumar who passed away recently?
2. The prototype of which form of transport, created by Prof Stefan Klein, had a 35-minute maiden run between Nitra and Bratislava in Slovakia?
3. A fossilised skull unearthed in China, that is least 140,000 years old, is being considered a new species of ancient human. What nickname has it been given?
4. Recently, Chinese astronauts successfully performed the first spacewalk in the flagship construction of the China National Space Administration. Name the station.
5. At just 12 years, four months, and 25 days, what sporting record Abhimanyu Mishra set recently?
6. The ‘Darbar move’, a 149-year-old practice, ended recently. In which place and what tradition?
7. The WHO has officially certified China as ‘Malaria-free’, the second Asian country to be recognised thus. Which neighbour of India was the first?
8. Name the Covid vaccine, sold in the USA as Spikevax, that is the first mRNA vaccine to get Emergency Use License in India?
9. Name the only Tamil Nadu politician to be made a minister in the recent Union cabinet reshuffle.
10. What is the revised turnover limit of small and medium companies (SMC), as per the recent definition issued by the Corporate Affairs Ministry?
* * *
11. Hosting the Summer Olympics once is itself an honour. Which city has done it a record three times?
12. Only five sport/disciplines have been held in all editions since 1896. Athletics and swimming are two of them. Name the other three.
13. Who is the most decorated Olympian with 23 gold, 3 silver, and 2 bronze medals?
14. In 1956, the Games were held in Australia and which other country? Why?
15. Among others, how are Waldi, Amik, and Miraitowa part of the Summer Olympics history?
16. The only time this ball-game was a medal sport was in 1900 when Great Britain won gold at the expense of France. Which sport?
17. Apart from the great Usain Bolt, name the only other male athlete to win the blue riband 100m crown in successive Olympics.
18. At which Olympic Games did Nadia Comaneci become the first gymnast to score a perfect 10?
19. Name the individual, synonymous with the Olympics, who won a gold medal at the 1912 Stockholm Games for his poem ‘Ode to Sport’?
20. Why does the Olympic Flag have the Rings coloured specifically in blue, yellow, black, green, red (on a white background)?Answers to Quiz
1. Yusuf Khan, 2. Flying car named AirCar, 3. Dragon Man after Dragon River region, 4. Tiangong, 5. Became the youngest chess Grand Master in history, 6. The bi-annual shift of the secretariat and all other government offices in the erstwhile State of Jammu and Kashmir from one capital city to another, 7. Sri Lanka, 8. Moderna mRNA 1273, 9. L. Murugan, 10. Rs. 250 crore.
* * *
11. London, 12. Cycling, fencing, and gymnastics, 13. Michael Phelps, 14. Sweden. Because of Australian quarantine laws, the equestrian events were held in Stockholm, 15. They are the names of official mascots, 16. Cricket, 17. Carl Lewis, 18. Montreal (1976), 19. Baron Pierre de Coubertin, considered the ‘Father’ of the Modern Olympic Games, 20. Because every member-nation’s flag contains at least one of the colours.