Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXXI No. 9, August 16-31, 2021
Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s first 10 questions are on current affairs and the next 10 are on Tokyo 2020.
1. India’s first indigenous aircraft carrier recently conducted its maiden sea trials. What is it called?
2. In which Russian city was INDRA-21, a 13-day mega military exercise between the Indian and Russian armies held from August 1?
3. With which tech major did CBSE and Ministry of Education announce the launch of the “AI For All” initiative on July 29?
4. Which State recently became the first to launch free COVID-19 vaccination through private hospitals using CSR funds?
5. The Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna has been renamed as…?
6. What does the 127th Constitution (Amendment) Bill passed by the Parliament seek to do?
7. On August 7, which company’s single dose Covid-19 vaccine was approved for emergency use in India, the fifth vaccine to get the nod?
8. Name the new cashless and contactless instrument for digital payment launched by the PM on August 2.
9. Which Harappan city, located in the Kutch district of Gujarat, has become the 40th Indian site to be inscribed in UNESCO’s World Heritage Sites list?
10. Name the new company to be launched by Alphabet, the parent company of Google, that will solely focus on software development for robots.
* * *
11. Which three sports debuted at Tokyo 2020?
12. India had its best-ever Olympic showing with seven medals, bettering the six won at which Games?
13. The highlight of India’s campaign was Neeraj Chopra’s gold in the javelin. What did his winning throw measure?
14. What was special about the men’s high jump?
15. With four golds and three bronzes, who was the most successful athlete at the Games and in which sport?
16. How did New Zealand weightlifter Laurel Hubbard make Olympic history?
17. The blue riband men’s 100m race produced a surprise champion, the first from Europe in 29 years. Who and what is his nationality?
18. Name the skipper of the Indian men’s hockey team that was back among the medals with a bronze.
19. Five countries won 20 or more Gold medals. Apart from USA and China, name the other three.
20. Thanks to three medals, which small European nation had 1 medal per 11,200 residents, the greatest ratio ever for a single Summer Olympics?Answers to Quiz
1.INS Vikrant, 2. Volgograd, 3. Intel, 4. Tamil Nadu, 5. Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna, 6. Restores the power of the States and the Union Territories to make their own OBC list, 7. Johnson & Johnson. The vaccine is called Janssen COVID-19 vaccine, 8. e-RUPI, 9. Dholavira, 10. Intrinsic.
* * *
11. Karate, Skateboarding and Surfing, 12. London 2012, 13. 87.58 metres, 14. It had joint champions with Italy’s Gianmarco Tamberi and Qatar’s Mutaz Barshim agreeing to share the gold, 15. Australian swimmer Emma McKeon, 16. She became the first transgender to compete in the Games, 17. Lamond Jacobs from Italy, 18. Manpreet Singh, 19. Russian Olympic Committee, Japan, and Great Britain, 20. San Marino.