Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXVII No. 16, December 1-15, 2017
(Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s questions are from November 1st to 15th. Questions 11 to 20 relate to Chennai and Tamil Nadu.)
1. On November 15th, Google honoured Cornelia Sorabji with a doodle on her 151st birth anniversary. What is her claim to fame?
2. Name the Exchange Traded Fund (ETF) launched by the Union Government that comprises 22 stocks, including those of central public sector enterprises, public sector banks and its holdings under the Specified Undertaking of Unit Trust of India (SUUTI)?
3. In which Asian country did the Prime Minister inaugurate the Narendra Modi Resilient Rice Field Laboratory on November 13th?
4. Who are the new national singles badminton champions?
5. What is Tyrannomyrmex alii (or T. alii), discovered in the Periyar Tiger reserve and named after eminent myrmecologist Musthak Ali, a new species of?
6. How did Umlingla Top in Ladakh make news recently?
7. Which place of worship in Tamil Nadu recently became the first to win the coveted UNESCO Asia-Pacific award for its cultural heritage conservation programme in the Awards of Merit category?
8. The Union Ministry of Communications has launched the Deen Dayal SPARSH Yojana, a pan-India scholarship programme for schoolchildren to increase the reach of which hobby and what does SPARSH stand for?
9. Which Tamil Nadu art form was recently accorded a GI Tag?
10. On November 15th, this Leonardo Da Vinci work became the most expensive painting sold at an auction, going for a whopping price of $450.3 million. Name it.
* * *
11. Which popular cinema theatre in the city was inaugurated on May 23, 1970 with a screening of Shirley Mclean’s Sweet Charity?
12. For what contribution were fellow Asian cities Almaty and Daegu in the news along with Chennai recently?
13. Actor Karthi’s latest action flick Theeran Adhigaaram Ondru will depict which meticulously-planned operation of the Tamil Nadu police in the recent past?
14. Which 200-year old centre of education located at the junction of Mount Road and Binny Road is to be brought down and replaced with a modern building?
15. The new Chandra Metromall at Engineer Thottam, between Valasaravakkam and Virugambakkam, has come up on the location of which theatre?
16. In 1933, P. Chokkalinga Mudhaliar built ten shops in a now chaotic locality and named the ‘market’ after his native place. Where was he from?
17. In 1852, Rev. Robert Carver established two schools called the Mount Road Male and Female Schools. What is present name for the institution now?
18. All know that R. Natarajan made the pioneering flick Keechaka Vadham. Who wrote the Tamil intertitles and the Hindi intertitles?
19. Name the architect responsible for the Ice House and the DGP HQ, both on the beach road.
20. What would you find where once Serle’s Garden stood?
1. She was the first Indian woman to practise law in India and England; 2. BHARAT-22; 3. The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) in the Philippines; 4. Saina Nehwal and H.S. Prannoy; 5. Ant; 6. The Border Roads Organisation recently constructed the world’s highest motorable road there, 86 km long at a height of over 19,300 feet; 7. Srirangam Ranganathaswamy Temple; 8. Philately (stamp collecting) and ‘Scholarship for Promotion of Aptitude & Research in Stamps as a Hobby’; 9. Mamallapuram stone sculptures; 10. Salvator Mundi.
* * *
11. Devi; 12. These three were chosen for their music in the list of 64 cities designated as UNESCO Creative Cities; 13. The tracking and takedown of criminals of the deadly Bawaria gang in UP for murders committed in Tamil Nadu; 14. Government Madrasa-e-Azam School for Boys; 15. National Theatre; 16. Pondicherry; 17. Christ Church School; 18. Pammal Sambandam Mudaliar and Devdas Gandhi respectively; 19. Col. J.J. Underwood; 20. The upmarket housing development Kesavaperumal Puram, Greenways Road.