Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXVIII No. 13, October 16-31, 2018
(Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s questions are from September 16th to 30th. Questions 11 to 20 relate to Chennai and Tamil Nadu.)
1. Government recently proposed to merge which three State-owned banks to create India’s third largest lender?
2. Which State has the highest number of people living with HIV, according to the HIV Estimations 2017 report released by the Health and Family Welfare Ministry?
3. In which South Indian capital has the country’s first-ever dedicated dog park come up?
4. Kevin Mayer of France set a new world record in which gruelling sporting event at a meet in Bordeaux on September 16th?
5. Because of their new film Sui Dhaaga – Made in India, which actors were recently made ambassadors of Skill India Campaign to promote the Skill India Mission?
6. Who is the author of the book Narendra Modi: A Charismatic & Visionary Statesman that was released on the Prime Minister’s birthday on September 17th?
7. According to the recent ordinance banning Instant Triple Talaq, how many years of jail term will be awarded to the husband?
8. In which North Eastern state was the the country’s 100th and the State’s first, airport inaugurated recently?
9. Name the weightlifter who was awarded the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna recently?
10. On September 20th, India contributed $1 million for installation of solar panels on the roof of which famous building in New York?
* * *
11. What is the relevance of ‘Unity’ and ‘Eagle’ to the history of Madras?
12. Which street inside Fort St. George is/was called ‘Snob’s Alley’?
13. Which well-known patriot wrote Naan Kanda Bharatam?
14. What first does Dr. P.V. Rajamannar have in the context of jurisprudence in the city?
15. Which establishment’s activities in Madras began in the Church of England’s Temperance Institute on Esplanade Road?
16. Best & Co was the first to market what product in bulk in Madras, introducing it in 1889?
17. Which Chennai-based college was the first in the country to offer music as an optional subject for the B.A. degree?
18. On which thoroughfare in North Madras will you find a Parsi fire temple, Roman Catholic and Protestant churches, a mosque and a Hindu temple?
19. In which suburban Chennai temple is Shiva said to have blessed sage Agasthya with a vision of his marriage with Parvati?
20. Which European firm provide the technical inputs for the Integral Coach Factory (ICF) when it was started in the early 1950s?Answers to Quiz
1. Vijaya Bank, Dena Bank and Bank of Baroda, 2. Maharashtra, 3. Hyderabad, 4. Decathlon, 5. Varun Dhawan and Anushka Sharma, 6. BJP president Amit Shah, 7. Three years, 8. Sikkim. The Pakyong airport is located about 60 km from the India-China border, 9. Mirabai Chanu, 10. UN Building.
* * *
11. They were the ships that brought to ‘Madrasapatnam’ the ‘founding fathers’ Andrew Cogan and Francis Day, 12. St. Thomas’ Street, 13. Ambujammal, daughter of Srinivasa Iyengar, 14. He was the first Indian to be confirmed as Chief Justice of the Madras High Court, 15. YMCA, 16. Kerosene oil, 17. Queen Mary’s College in 1927, 18. Arathoon Road, 19. Vedapureeswarar Temple in Thiruverkadu, 20. Swiss Car & Elevator Manufacturing Corporation.