Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXIX No. 18, January 1-15, 2020
(Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s questions are from December 1st to 15th. Questions 11 to 20 relate to Chennai and Tamil Nadu.)
1. Who took over as the CEO of Google’s parent company Alphabet, Inc. on December 3?
2. Name the body that banned Russia from competing in all major international sporting events for the next four years.
3. In early December, which company raised $25.6 billion, making it the world’s largest IPO to date?
4. Who on December 10 became the world’s youngest Prime Minister at 34?
5. Which teenager-activist has been chosen Time magazine’s Person Of The Year?
6. An 18000-old perfectly preserved common animal, possibly the oldest of its kind and that has been named Dogor, was recently found in the permafrost in Yakutsk (eastern Siberia). What type of animal?
7. Which cricketer was voted BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2019?
8. In an unusual humanitarian request, New Zealand ordered about 1,292 square feet of what item to treat those injured in a volcanic eruption on White Island recently?
9. Which footballer recently won the coveted Ballon d’Or award for a record sixth time?
10. How did South African Zozibini Tunzi make news recently?
* * *
11. What is special about the Nandi in the Masilamaniswara Temple at Thirumullaivoyal?
12. Which infamously famous entrepreneur’s life story is titled Vetri Meedhu Aasai Veithen (I Set my Heart on Victory)?
13. Fill in the blank – among college students, the self-appointed gang leader for a particular bus or train route is dubbed __ __?
14. Name the famous singing group from Chennai made up of eight mixed voices led by Augustine Paul.
15. The EIR 21 made news on December 14. What is it?
16. Which was the last pair to get the coveted Sangita Kalanidhi honour?
17. Which eminent Chennai school has the motto ‘Satyam, Jnanam, Anantam, Brahma’?
18. By what common name is the Great House on Charles Street, where Robert Clive lived in the Fort, also known?
19. Which popular director’s production house is called ‘Neelam Productions’?
20. Who penned the Tirumantiram, the tenth of the twelve volumes of the Tirumurai?
Answers to Quiz
1. Sundar Pichai, 2. World Anti-Doping Agency, 3. Saudi Aramco, 4. Sanna Marin of Finland, 5. Greta Thunberg, the Swedish schoolgirl who inspired a global movement to fight climate change, 6. Puppy dog, 7. Ben Stokes, 8. Skin for grafting, 9. Lionel Messi, 10. She won the Miss Universe title.
* * *
11. Unlike other temples, here he faces outwards, ready to leave for the battle on the orders of the Lord, 12. Saravana Bhavan Rajagopal, 13. Route Thala, 14. Octet Cantabile, 15. The world’s oldest steam locomotive which made its annual heritage run between Chennai Egmore to Kodambakkam station on that day, 16. Bombay Sisters C. Saroja and Lalitha in 2010, 17. Hindu Higher Secondary School, 18. Admiralty House, 19. Pa. Ranjith, 20. Thirumular.