Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXIX No. 8, August 1-15, 2019
(Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s questions are from July 1st to 15th. Questions 11 to 20 relate to Chennai and Tamil Nadu.)
1. On July 1, what unprecedented act for a sitting US President did Donald Trump do in an Asian country?
2. Which two countries (both Asian) have jointly topped the Henley Passport Index 2019 based on their Visa-Free Scores?
3. Which western India capital city has recently made it to the UNESCO World Heritage Site list?
4. Name the former India skipper appointed as the head of Cricket at National Cricket Academy (NCA) by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).
5. On July 10, 2019, Ukraine and its European partners inaugurated the world’s largest new metal dome to encase what?
6. On July 11, which country became the first in the world to pass the GAFA (Google, Apple, Facebook, Amazon) Tax on the digital giants?
7. Name the only Indian (at 33rd spot globally), with earnings of $65 million, in the Forbes Highest-Paid Celebrities 2019 list.
8. Name the MD of State Bank of India appointed as the MD & CFO of the World Bank.
9. According to the Botanical Survey of India’s first comprehensive census, of which flowering plant are there 1256 species or taxa in our country?
10. Who was named Player of the Series in the recently-concluded ICC World Cup?
* * *
11. The village of Jaderi in Tiruvannamalai district is best known for which item of religious significance?
12. What would be the HQ of the two new TN districts to be carved out of Kancheepuram and Tirunelveli districts?
13. Name the team defending its title at this year’s Tamil Nadu Premier League?
14. Name the prolific author-scriptwriter whose most popular work is the thriller Vidaathu Karuppu also known as Marmadesam?
15. As per a recent announcement, Tirukkural is to be part of which SE Asian country’s textbooks?
16. Among others, which political leader has a shrine in the temple in the Yoga Centre compound in Ganesapuram in Coimbatore?
17. Which recently-deceased infamously famous entrepreneur’s memoir is titled I Set My Heart on Victory?
18. Walajahpet Venkataramana Bhagavatar’s 19th century composition ‘Kanulara Konti’ (in Dhanyasi ragam) elaborately describes which activity at a famous Kanchi temple?
19. Which respected Chennai institution was the promoter of the famous Mylapore Recreation Club ‘A’ cricket team that turned 90 recently.
20. India’s (so far recorded) two double internationals were from Madras, with one playing cricket and tennis and the other cricket and hockey. Name both.Answers to Quiz
1. Enter North Korea after briefly crossing the border in the demilitarised zone (DMZ) between South and North Korea, 2. Japan and Singapore, 3. Jaipur, 4. Rahul Dravid, 5. The infamous Chernobyl nuclear power station, 6. France, 7. Akshay Kumar, 8. Anshula Kant, 9. Orchids, 10. Kane Williamson.
* * *
11. Naama kattis, 12. Chengalpattu and Tenkasi, 13. Siechem Madurai Panthers, 14. Indra Soundar Rajan, 15. Cambodia, 16. Jayalalithaa, 17. P. Rajagopal, the founder of Saravana Bhavan, 18. Garuda Seva at the Aththi Varadaraja Temple, 19. The Hindu, 20. C. Ramaswami and M.J. Gopalan.