Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXX No. 19, February 1-15, 2021
Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s first 10 questions are on current affairs and next 10 on feats by India and Indians in India-England Test history.
1. In which South East Asian country did archaeologists announced the discovery of oldest known animal cave painting (of a wild pig) said to be created about 45,500 years ago?
2. On January 24, a Tesla SpaceX rocket put into orbit a record number of payloads to better the previous feat of 104 by an Indian rocket. How many satellites: 134, 143, 153?
3. Lloyd Austin has become the first African-American to hold which important portfolio in the Joe Biden cabinet?
4. Alphabet Inc., the parent company of Google, is to shut down ‘Loon’ as it is not ‘commercially viable’. What was ‘Loon’ all about?
5. What first did Manish Kumar, a sanitation worker, achieve on January 16?
6. Stellantis, which has become the world’s fourth-biggest automaker by volume, is from the merger of which two auto majors?
7. What rare event happened on January 20 in US political history for the first time since Ulysses S. Grant’s inauguration in 1869?
8. In an astonishing mountaineering feat, which peak became the final eight-thousander to be summited in the winter?
9. Which former PM of an Asian nation has been honoured with the Padma Vibhushan, the nation’s second-highest civilian award?
10. Who was named Man-of-the-Series in the Border-Gavaskar Trophy series won by India 2-1?
* * *
11. Who skippered India in its first official Test played at Lord’s in 1932?
12. Where and when did India record its first victory over England at home and away?
13. Which Indian batsman was dubbed the ‘Lord of Lord’s’ for scoring three centuries at the ‘home of cricket’?
14. If the teams play for the Pataudi Trophy for matches held in England, after which Indian administrator is the trophy named for the series hosted in India?
15. After having scored a century on his Test debut for England during the infamous ‘Bodyline’ series, he subsequently captained India. Name this famous Indian cricketer.
16. Which bowler did Kapil Dev hit for four sixes when 24 were required to avoid a follow-on in the 1990 Test at Lord’s?
17. The only other Indian apart from Virender Sehwag to hit a triple century did so against England at Chennai in 2016. Name the Karnataka batsman.
18. Name the Indian legend who has his name on the Lord’s honours boards for both as a batsman and bowler for his exploits in the same Test.
19. The only time this ‘group’ played together in Test was at Birmingham in 1967. Which ‘group’?
20. Sachin Tendulkar scored the first of his record 51 Test centuries in 1990. At which venue?Answers to Quiz
1. Indonesia, 2. 143, 3. Secretary of Defence, 4. Providing an aerial wireless network through high-altitude balloons, 5. Became the first person in India to receive the coronavirus vaccine, 6. Fiat Chrysler and Peugeot, 7. Donald Trump became the first outgoing president to refuse to attend his successor’s inauguration, 8. K2, 9. Shinzo Abe of Japan, 10. Pat Cummins.
* * *
11. C.K. Nayudu, 12. Madras (1952) and The Oval (1971), 13. Dilip Vengsarkar, 14. Anthony de Mello, one of the founders of the BCCI, 15. Iftikhar Ali Khan Pataudi, 16. Eddie Hemmings, 17. Karun Nair, 18. Vinoo Mankad for his 5/196 and 184 in the 1952 Test, 19. The fabled spin quartet of Bishan Singh Bedi, Erapalli Prasanna, S. Venkatraghavan and B.S. Chandrasekhar, 20. Old Trafford