Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXX No. 21, March 1-15, 2021
Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s first 10 questions are on current affairs and next 10 on currencies and money.
1. Name NASA’s latest robotic rover that touched down on Mars recently and will study whether there was ever life on the red planet.
2. Simple. Who are the new Australian Open singles champions?
3. To reduce consumption of plastic in its packaging, Coca-Cola is to trial bottles made from which material?
4. Which big country recently reported the first case of a bird flu strain, H5N8, being passed from poultry to humans?
5. Sagarika, the first of its kind in India, was recently inaugurated by PM Modi at Willingdon Island, Kochi. What is it?
6. Which south Indian state capital is the only Indian city to be recognised by the Arbor Day Foundation and the UN’s Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) as a ‘2020 Tree City of the World’?
7. Which Indian was the winner of the inaugural ICC Player of the Month Award for his heroics in Australia?
8. In which district was the foundation stone for CPCL’s Cauvery Basin Refinery expansion project spread over 1300 acres and costing Rs. 31,580 crore laid recently?
9. Which crypto-currency recently became the first to hit a market capitalisation of $1 trillion?
10. Name the popular French electronic music duo of Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo and Thomas Bangalter, known for performing with helmets on, which has decided to split up.
* * *
11. Apart from India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, and Pakistan, which two island nations’ currency is also called ‘rupee’?
12. Which two Indian rupee notes (excluding the Re. 1 note) don’t have an UNESCO World Heritage Site featured on it?
13. What is special about the issuance of the Indian Re. 1 note as compared to the other denominations?
14. The Chinese currency is commonly called the Yuan. What is its official name which means ‘people’s currency’?
15. Who is Satoshi Nakamoto in the present context of world currency?
16. If you are using the Ngultrum, you are native to which Asian nation?
17. Indian coins produced in which mints carry Star and Diamond marks?
18. Which Central American nation has named the currency after its national bird Quetzal?
19. Which common currency has its etymology in the silver ‘Joachimsthaler’ coins minted in the 16th century in the Kingdom of Bohemia?
20. What were the values of the two coins issued during the Naya paisa series (1957–1964)?Answers to Quiz
1. Perseverance, 2. Novak Djokovic and Naomi Osaka, 3. Paper, 4. Russia, 5. The country’s first full-fledged international cruise terminal, 6. Hyderabad, 7. Rishabh Pant, 8. Nagapattinam, 9. Bitcoin, 10. Daft Punk.
* * *
11. Mauritius and Seychelles, 12. Rs. 5 (tractor) and Rs. 2000 (Mangalyaan), 13. The only one issued by the Government of India. Other banknotes in circulation are issued by the Reserve Bank of India, 14. Renminbi, 15. It is the name used by the presumed pseudonymous person(s) who developed Bitcoin, 16. Bhutan, 17. Hyderabad and Mumbai mints respectively, 18. Guatemala, 19. Dollar, 20. 1 and 2 paisa.