Registered with the Registrar of Newspapers for India under R.N.I 53640/91
Vol. XXXI No. 8, August 1-15, 2021
Quizmaster V.V. Ramanan’s first 10 questions are on current affairs and the next 10 are on water bodies
1. Name the temple in Telangana that has become India’s 39th UNESCO World Heritage Site?
2. Novak Djokovic joined Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal for the most number of singles Grand Slams (20) by winning Wimbledon. But which Major has he won the most times?
3. The British Guiana One-Cent Magenta, valued at $8.3 million and gram for gram, considered the most valuable man-made item in the world, went on public display recently. What is it?
4. Why were ‘Unity’ and ‘New Shepard’ in the news recently?
5. According to the scientific journal Nature, which rainforest is emitting more carbon dioxide than it absorbs?
6. In which weight category did weightlifter Mirabai Chanu win silver on the opening day of the Olympics?
7. What technological first did the recently opened bridge on the Oudezijds Achterburgwal canal in Amsterdam achieve?
8. Which Asian Nobel Laureate became the second person to be honoured with the Olympic Laurel that recognises the efforts of individuals in culture, education, peace, and development through sports?
9. China recently unveiled the fastest ground vehicle that is capable of touching 600kmph. What type of vehicle?
10. Two Indian organisations, Snehakunja Trust and Aadhimalai Pazhangudiyinar Producer Company Limited, were recently awarded the UNDP’s prize for their work in the field of biodiversity and conservation. After which cartographical/geographical feature is the prestigious prize named?
* * *
11. HOMES is the mnemonic used to recall the five great lakes of North America. Name them.
12. What five-lettered word describes a long narrow arm of the sea, extending far inland, that is created by marine inundation of a glaciated valley?
13. Which is the lowest body of water on the surface of Earth?
14. Name the water body in Scotland that is supposed to house a monster.
15. What are the names of the Ganga and Brahmaputra in Bangladesh?
16. Which is the only Asian country to share its name with a river?
17. Which river flows through the most National capitals?
18. Which famous explorer gave the Pacific Ocean its name because of the calmness of the water at the time (‘pacific’ means peaceful)?
19. Name the second-largest brackish lagoon in the world found at the mouth of the Daya river.
20. In one of the worst human-triggered environmental disasters, which sea, once the fourth largest in the world with an area of 68,000 sq. km., has now been reduced to less than 5% in the last 60 years?Answers to Quiz
1. Kakatiya Rudreshwara (Ramappa) Temple in Palampet, 2. Australian Open (nine titles), 3. A postage stamp, 4. They were the crafts that took billionaire entrepreneurs Richard Branson and Jeff Bezos to space, 5. Amazon, 6. Women’s 49 kg, 7. It’s the world’s first 3D-printed steel pedestrian bridge, 8. Bangladesh’s Muhummad Yunus, 9. Maglev train, 10. Equator.
* * *
11. Huron, Ontario, Michigan, Erie and Superior, 12. Fjord, 13. The Dead Sea, 14. Loch Ness, 15. Padma and Jamuna, 16. Jordan, 17. Danube (Belgrade, Vienna, Bratislava, and Budapest), 18. Ferdinand Magellan, 19. Chilika Lake, 20. Aral Sea.